Nobi's SeaFury and Special

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Bowdenja, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK guys............... here we go.

I bought from a new inexpensive web cam that takes 640 x 480 or with software 800 x 600 picture.

It is a Creative Labs Live! Cam Vista IM 4L 0.3MP Effective Pixels 800 x 600 (software enhanced) 15fps USB Interface WebCam

Go to the site and check out all the specs if you are interested.,

No.......... no micro mode.........thank goodness. But I thought this would give folks an idea of what to expect from an inexpensive camera. Also I chose a web cam to allow other uses and not limit it to taking airplane pictures. (I also liked that fact that since I can not hold a camera still enought to get a focused picture, this would take out that variable.) I've got it attached to the top of my monitor.
    I will show the original un-retouched photo and then a PhotoShop crop if you guys think it's neccessary to show what is possible.

Here is the first shot of all the fuselage pieces cut out and ready for assembly.

This is an un-retouched photo snaped throught the web cams software. 800 x 600

John is NOT a photographer............period. John is NOT a PhotoShop expert......ditto again. This will be a good example of what a novice can expect because.......... well just because!

Attached Files:

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And here is a PhotoShop cropped version.

Cropped and resized back up to 800 x 600. No other enhancements done in photoshop.

Attached Files:

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cowling first..........

Here are the parts that make up the SeaFury cowling cut out and ready for shaping.

That's my mouse pad (used) and a steel rod I use to curl the parts before gluing.

Since most airplanes are basically round I curl all parts and the use the formers to determine the final shape.

Attached Files:

4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Attached Files:

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Parts pre curled and glue together

Attached Files:

6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And all together

Attached Files:

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

After the finishing the parts I then insert the former and run a bead of glue arount the edge to secure it.

Ron showed me this technique and I'm been building this way ever since.

When you insert the former if it is not a circle, as in this case, be sure to align the former correctly and try not to force it too far into the part as to deform it. Let the glue dry and go to the next assemble.

Also all of these pictures are un-retouched snapped from the web cam. Including this one, that I moved pretty close to the camera. Not too bad on the details.......... for a $25.00 USD camera. IMHO:grin:

Attached Files:

8. cbg

cbg Member

nice hands!

I Like your hands and manicure, John!

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Cool technique, almost a real time modeling "infomercial". Great plane too.
  10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Neat idea John. Not everyone wants to be limited to Webcam quality, but it's a great alternative to those getting started in digital imaging and don't have the free $$ available for a higher quality cam. I'm sure a lot of folks will appreciate your experiment and see that this is quite good enough to show a good build sequence!

11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks guys........... It ain't the worlds greatest camera.......... but I think it does show that you can use it to get started and upgrade later.

CBG.......... Thanks I do them myself............ no really it must be all those years of typing and not pulling on wrenches or digging ditches. Office work........comfortable temps, no hard physical work.............lots of aggrivation!

Here we go with some more............. I finished the main fuselage and got some more pics of the progrss.

Main parts.........

Attached Files:

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

All pre-shaped and glued up

Attached Files:

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And finally all glued up.............. nice fuselage. I think.

Attached Files:

14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Now Nobi's design are "Easy but Beautiful" and this show the easy and the beauty of his work.

He uses a main beam former to attach the wings and give then the correct shape and support.

He has an area not colored that need to be cut out to accept this piece...........

TIP......... do not cut the piece out until you have the fuselage assembled and the glue has dried. When you are ready to attach the former......... cut the slot and then glue it in. If you cut it first YOU WILL have a warpped fuselage and the wings WILL NOT line up correctly.......... ummmmmmm yes that comes from first hand experience:roll: .

Here the picture of the slot.............. after fuselage assembly

Attached Files:

15. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

And having a "better" camera doesn't guarantee better pictures, either. Just look at mine:roll:.

Nice job so far, John. I'm glad you picked this one, I just moved it up in my "to build" list, and I can use your thread for reference.

Scott K.
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hey John,

If I hold the Down Key hard enough I get movieola..., just kidding of course. It's a great idea, though, in a few years HDTV cameras will be at the same pricing. The neat part is you just record the build and freeze frames out for posting later. This relieves all the messing about with the camera, camera timer, bracketing shots etc. I see this becoming the standard way of doing things in the not to distant future. Just think "Outtake of the Mess Ups & Boo Boos"...,

17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well to continue with the flick...........ummmmm rather "Mean while back at the ranch........"

I attached the tail plane........... the spaces that are around the fuselage will be covered buy the attachment of the stabilizers.

Attached Files:

18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And then I now cut the slot for the wing former......... notice there is no warping of the fuselage

Attached Files:

19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And the gluing of the former............ I use a lot to make sure there is good support and this will covered by the wing attachments.

Attached Files:

20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wing works

Here is the wing cut and ready for shaping...........

Attached Files: