NOBI's North American A-36

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by milenio3, Mar 8, 2007.

1. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Let's go to the wheels.

The model has parts to make the wheels from laminating the circles. I change this to just laminate them up to 3mm with heavy cardstock.

The rest is the method I learned in this forum with the masters (won't mention them here fearing I miss one or two, but you all know who they are).

First, glue the radial parts with the laminated paper.

Then, sand the wheel turning it so you can have an even tire.

Then paint black the wheel.

I still have to enhance my wheel technique, though.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I'm going to have to disagree on your wheel technique............. looks like you have it down to me!:grin: Those look very good to me.

How well does the 3mm stock sand? Are you hand sanding, or using power tools (dremel)?

The model is really looking pretty good, I like the added black piece to the moving surfaces. It really does give it that depth feel.

3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

John, in fact the 3mm paper laminate works good for me. I took to myself the Golden Bear tip on gluing two circles 1mm 1.5 mm each, so you can have either 2 or 3 mm, depending on the paper you are using at that moment, but use wood glue, not the usual glue. In this case, I used Testor's for wood (the tube is green-yellowish color); that way, the join is stronger, so after dry, you can sand it with no problems. Oh, and I don't have any tools, just sand it at hand. But definitively, a dremel will be much much better.

Thanks for the comment.
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

The landing gear complete...

And now in its place under the wing.

5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

A little change for the propellers. They would look better if a piece of wire is placed inside each propeller. This achieves two purposes: a) a rounded look and b) an insert to the spinner.

6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Now the plane is ready.

7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Another view.

8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Looks great! Very good job.
  9. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Fast build!! - looks great

10. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Not too shabby at all.

I especially like the control surfaces hacks.
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Looks good Gerardo! I really do like the separate flaps, rudder and alerons. It really does make the model pop!

12. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great job! Really made it come alive! Thanks for the updates!

13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Very nice build! thanks for sharing it with us. Oh and dont feel bad about the wheels - I think they are great! They turn out just like all mine do :)
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thanks for all the comments, friends.

And yes, this one was a two day construction over the weekend, just in time for the Free #2 contest.

It was fun to build it. Thanks to Nobi and all of you
  15. eagleone

eagleone Member

What is the link to nobi's website?
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

17. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Very nice build and very informative build thread Gerardo. I'll definitely be trying your technique for the rudder and ailerons on the next plane I build. Thanks for joining our little community here.

18. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Superb job, Gerardo!
    You made a great kit even greater!