NOAA fisheries vessel

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
Somewhat to my chagrine I found out that I'm not on build #5 but on build #8. My working methods sure aren't the most efficient, but I love the puzzle of figuring out how something will go together and then seeing if it works. I don't have the patience to do all the design before attempting to build.
I also lose interest once I know how it willl all fit together which means I usually stop working on a model in the middle of the final build. Once I know how it will fit together building no longer interests me.
Here are builds #1-#7. In the latest version I've added the overhead(roof). The fit of the prow is still messy. I'm getting close to the point were I can attempt the sponson.

---Lizzie

Attachments

• 7 boats.jpg
    7 boats.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 285

clarklfarris

Sep 28, 2005
lizzie,

I'm impressed with your results so far. I think that if you approach the sponsons simply as tubes they should not be too much of a problem. As you said the prow is likely to be the most challenging. That being said, just think of the prow as segments of a longer tube. This type of boat is in use in a vast array of civilian as well as military applications.

Regarding your design/build method. I prefer to build the "white" model until I am relatively certain I have the bugs worked out. Saves ink that way. Please in no way do I mean this as a criticism.

I look forward how any tips on how you loft the hull. Lofting is one of the things that I continue to struggle with. Going from a 2D drawing to a 3D shape is always challenging and I look forward to seeing how you do it.

Continue the good work.

Clark

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
I've pretty much got the hull lofting done. I just refining the prow. Here is the page with the hull structure.

I started with the keel piece taken from the side elevation, the deck plate taken from the overhead view, and the transom from a stern view. I didn't do all the rib formers in the first build. It saves time to only do a few of them until the shape is right and I know how they will attach to the deck plate.

I have the deck plate aligned with the keel so that I can easily align parts and keep changes consistent. I've put the rib/former in the place where I work on one and put in lines to show how I take the dimension from the gunwales, deckplate, and keel.

The hard part is getting the prow of the gunwales right since it slopes upward and needs to be longer that it appears in the overhead view.

This particular boat has a consitent distance and shape where the sponson fits. It's also made out of aluminum so it doesn't have compound curves.

I use color because it makes me happy. It also makes fit problems more obvious.

---Lizzie

Attachments

• lofting.jpg
    lofting.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 279

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
After I don't know want to tell you how many builds, I've got the sponson on. The v-berth has been giving me the most trouble.

This is the first attempt at the sponson, so it still has an ugly gap. Part of it is held together with scotch tape. And I haven't colored most of the edges yet either.

---Lizzie

Attachments

• sponson.jpg
    sponson.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 227

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
I'll jump on this here wagon and say it's lookin' good, too. I bet those boats are fun to run through some of those large waves.:yep: :shock:

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
Here is one of the itty bitty Evinrude outboard (225 horsepower) for the NOAA enforcement boat. This is the second build for the motor so it still needs some parts and refinement. Carl's tutorial was a help in rolling the propellor shaft.
Is anyone else doing outboard motors?

--Lizzie

Attachments

• ity bitty evinrude 2 .jpg
    ity bitty evinrude 2 .jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 309

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
Here is one of the itty bitty Evinrude outboard (225 horsepower) for the NOAA enforcement boat. This is the second build for the motor so it still needs some parts and refinement. Carl's tutorial was a help in rolling the propellor shaft.
Is anyone else doing outboard motors?

--Lizzie

S

sdk2knbk

Nice one Lizzie! You should post that picture on TWE's Tiny Challenge.

Scott K.

S

sdk2knbk

Nice one Lizzie! You should post that picture on TWE's Tiny Challenge.

Scott K.