No wheel movement

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Drzoidberg, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drzoidberg

Drzoidberg New Member

I have a problem with my Savage SS truck. I have tuned the engine correctly and when the truck is elevated so the wheels are off the ground it seems to be running fine.

However when I put the truck on the ground to run it the engine continues to run, the throttle works fine and the gear on the slipper clutch turns but the truck doesnt move.

I checked the brakes and they are not engaged.

Basically the engines works, has been tuned correctly (hopefully) and the gears on both the engine and the slipper clutch are turning but the truck just wont move. What is the problem? Do I need to retension my slipper clutch? What does the slipper clutch do anyway? Sorry but a I am new at this.

Any help would be great.
  2. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

if the gears are moveing then the engine would have no part in it not going any where. If the truck is off the ground and the wheels spin then it would probly have to be the slipper not gripping necause when its on the ground it has a load but off the ground there is nothing holding it back. Maybe tighting it and see what it does. I do not have a savage and do not know much about them.

What a slipper does is when the truck goes off a jump and lets say you had the throttle on full when it lands the slippers helps protect the gears on the truck.
  3. Drzoidberg

Drzoidberg New Member

Thanks for that, so would it be best for you to stop accelerating while the truck is in the air so that when it lands you dont put stress on the gears?

I will tighten my slipper clutch and see what happens. From my research I assumed that this was the problem and from your explanantion of what a slipper clutch is I think you may be correct.

My truck was running fine until I went over a jump, after that was when I started experiencing problems. I also noticed that the gear on the slipper clutch was spinning freely without turning the wheels.

One final question, is there an easy way to tighten the nut on the slipper clutch? So far I have been using a pair of pliers to stop the bolt that the nut screws on to from turning. It works but it has done some small damage to the gear behind the spur gear. (sorry hope that makes sense)

4. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

When you go off a jump right b4 you land ALWAYS LET off the gas this will p[rotect the hole drivetrain from shock because its all moveing really fast and then it comes to almost a stop when it touches down on the ground.

For the nut maybe use a wrench to tighten it...?
  5. Drzoidberg

Drzoidberg New Member

Cheers DJ that helps me a lot.

I have been using a wrench but I have trouble tightening it while the transmission moves.
  6. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

if it is alittle tight hold the spur gear once and try tighting it and see if this helps, it might
  7. xtman

xtman Member

Also what could have happened is that the diffs might be REALLY loose. That has happened to me before the diff was tight enough to engage after a couple blips in the air,but i put it on the the ground and it looks like the truck kneeds a puch to start moving..
  8. digdug72

digdug72 Member

Spyder gears in the diffs help out alot too
  9. osbornel

osbornel Member

did you check to see if a dogbone popped off?
  10. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

Since it is a 4wd truck dog bones would have had to pop off the front and rear in order for it not to move at all. When you take 1 dog bone off the digg will spin but won't go any where BUT the front would still movetho.
  11. tnx

tnx Member

everything is said. tighten the slipper. jsut dont do it too much or as dj said ull wreck the gears on landings.
  12. RC King

RC King Member

you might have already stripped the idler gear on a few hard landings if you did`nt t off the gas before you hit the have to let off the gas before you hit the ground

if the diff is tight and the slipper is tight and still does this you need to disassemble the trany and check all the gears for any missing teeth.most likley,it would be the idler gear not sure though.
  13. tnx

tnx Member

uhmmmm there isnt an idler gear in the tranny? never heard of that before. maybe you can explainw hich gear that is?
  14. RC King

RC King Member

the gear that meshes with the diff gear.they are ring and pinion not idler gear.soryy.the pinion gear is what i meant.AKA bevel gear.and no i dont mean the clutch bell gear.i would take apart the whole thing and check all the gears for any damage.
  15. RC King

RC King Member

you never heard of an idler gear?
  16. redheat

redheat Member

Check the primary gear and drive pin that goes threw it , located in the tranny, RED
  17. RC King

RC King Member

good addvice RED.if the pin comes out of a pinned gear it would do that
  18. redheat

redheat Member

Thanks King , RED
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.