No More

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I'm not gonna take any more photos of my railway empire!!
The other day I got a couple of bridges (kind of by accident)so since it was pouring rain today I ripped out a couplea feet of mountain an built a lovely gully and installed said bridges (deck truss) all nice and pre weathered.Then I foolishly went and got the camera.
Why do digital photos mae stuff that loos good to the naked eye look like POOP by the time it gets to the screen??!!
curse.gif
cry.gif
redface2.gif

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I know how you feel! There have been a number of times pictures I've taken of my layout have motivated me to want to make improvements. Its a good thing! :) My guess is that a lot of us end up doiong the same thing.
Ralph

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
you asked for it

Meby there's a couple of photoe's here of my new bridges, I'm about as good at photography as I am with a computer.
The main complaint about the pis's is , see the nail heads ?? well with the naked eye you can barely see 'em. now I'm gonna have to repaint the sky. Did I mention I'm a lousy painter?
curse.gif

Attachments

• 2006_0603train0012.JPG
    2006_0603train0012.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 168
  • 2006_0603train0014.JPG
    2006_0603train0014.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 171

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
You have to turn off the flash. The same thing would happen to my trains when I left the flash on. The only thing with turning the flash off is you will need a steady platform to take pictures with, because the shudder needs to stay open for a longer periond of time to get sufficient light in. pictures will seem dark, but most photo editors can automatically brighten them up. using special ambient lights would also help. Sunlight is also good if sunlight can reach that part of the room.

If you are working in a shadowy area with no light, wait until dark to take pictures, because even a little sunlight makes it to dark.

try it without the flash. it should look closer to what your eye sees.

L

lester perry

If the screws are the only problem you can find you don't have a problem. Looks like a good beginning to me keep us updated on progress.
Les

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
MilesWestern
The rocks are about the easiest thing ,I just hach the rough shape outa styrofoam (I use the cheaper white kind) then cover it with cheesecloth and plaster mixed thin enough to paint in with a brush. Usually two coats will get rid of the pattern of the cheesecloth. Then I mix up some simple grey paint, just mix black and white to taste ,make it pretty runny and slather it on. It seems to find it's own way into crevaces creating light and dark places that end up looking fairly realistic.
good luck/have fun

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Way back when, John Allen took a photo of a friend's locomotive (I think it was Cliff Grandt) and said, "Any place you can tell that it's a model, there's a chance to improve your modelling." (This eventually gave us the Grandt Line of detail parts.)

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Lionel...etc
It's pretty common morso than the pink or blue out here in the boonies , anyway I get mine at HomeHardware ...just 'cause it's close (only 40 mi. ret.)
have fun
Oh yeah some bug things like tv's 'n' stuff have big chunks of white s'foam protecteng them

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
Hey i think the work you have dont looks great. I am just starting out with the model RR stuff and it looks better then anything i have built. So keep on building.....

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
60103 said:
Way back when, John Allen took a photo of a friend's locomotive (I think it was Cliff Grandt) and said, "Any place you can tell that it's a model, there's a chance to improve your modelling." (This eventually gave us the Grandt Line of detail parts.)
Thanks 60103. I like that quote. Gonna have to save it with other quotes I've collected. :thumb:

Relic, if all you have to worry about on your layout are nail heads, you're a long way ahead of most of the rest of us. :D :D :D