No more pics

Kevinkrey

Over the weekend I had some freinds over, and while screwing around, I fell of our clothes pole, and later that night, upon turning it on, realized that I landed on my camera. :cry: It still takes pics, and can do eveything, but the digital screen is all white and black, so I have no idea what Im taking a picture of. I can guess and everything, but this just sucks. BestBuy says I can have the mfg. repair it, but it would cost as much as a new one. So I guess I know what Im doing with the next random $160 I find. At least I dont need a new card. Dont know why Im posting this, just am, figure it would be easier to laugh than to get all mad.

jesso

I feel for you. I hate cameras. When we bought our last digital camera, I didn't trust all the moving parts (lens and flippable lcd panel) so I bought the extra three year warranty. Needless to say, we just went on a vacation and the camera lens stopped retracting. Checked the warranty, purchased 3 years and 1 month ago. I guess all my pictures are going to be from my web cam from now on.

doctorwayne

Over the weekend I had some freinds over, and while screwing around, I fell of our clothes pole, and later that night, upon turning it on, realized that I landed on my camera.......Dont know why Im posting this, just am, figure it would be easier to laugh than to get all mad.

How many times have I told you kids to stop horsing around and just sit down and behave yourself? If you don't watch out, you'll put out your eye, or squash your camera!! :p:p:p:p

Sorry to hear about the camera, Kevin, but at least it sounds as if you survived okay. ;):-D:-D And you're right: there's no point in getting mad about it. I actually got a pretty good laugh out of my mental picture of your antics.

Wayne

Kevinkrey

yea my one freind just finished National Guard training, and was showing us some of his "sweet defensive moves", so I tried ,and............:cry:

RobertInOntario

I think I can relate. I've had 3 mishaps with my camera, which was top-of-the-line in 2005! After the first accident, its frame was cracked but a well-known camera chain store referred to a dingy little camera repair shop (they said they would be cheaper, which it was). It cost about $130 to have it repaired.

Then, I dropped it on a paved parking lot and the door that covers the memory card broke off. I managed to repair it myself, although there is some cosmetic damage (bashed corner). That was a year ago and it's still working fine!

What frustrates me is that, while the technology is excellent, the overall quality can't cope with much "abuse". This is the general trend with modern gadgets, especially electronic ones. Great technology, but not built to last.

Rob

railohio

If they make consumer cameras to survive regular use then they can't sell you a new one every year or two. That's one of the biggest reasons why I haven't "gone digital" yet.

Ah, but, if you get a good camera to begin with it should do pretty well. I have a Canon30D which has been dropped, banged and even swamped and it's still working. I do think I should have it checked, as it is not quite right in some respects; but it still takes pictures.

RobertInOntario

My second accident with my digital camera was actually quite funny (in retrospect!).

I was out hiking with my two sons and had the camera around my neck and my backpack on my back. When I took the backpack off, the camera got stuck under a backpack strap. As I pull down on the backpack, it propelled the camera upwards where it hit me in the forehead, causing a nasty cut/bruise on my forehead and a badly cracked camera frame !:eek::curse:

The camera actually still worked but definitely needed repairing with the frame so cracked. It cost about $130 to repair at a small camera store.

I know manufacturers purposely make these things cheap b/c technology is constantly improving and they want you to buy the next thing out in 1-2 years. It's still frustrating though and actually bad for the environment, etc.

Digital photography is great and very convenient, but I don't want to fork out a few hundred bucks every two years on a new camera. :cry:

I think of my old Hornby Dublo British locos. These die-cast beasts were made in Britain in the early-1960s (many were made much earlier as well). I have 3 of them and these were built to last. Their detailing is fair, but they run well and smoothly, even when they're 45-46 years old.

Rob

Jim Krause

Overall, I think digital camera's are pretty sturdy. All of those internal levers, close tolerence parts and real glass lenses in the old cameras were subject to damage too. (from experience) My son dropped a lense from my Pentax on the floor. Not good. Of course, the heavy, metal bodies made a good weapon compared to the plastic of today.

RobertInOntario

Overall, I think digital camera's are pretty sturdy. All of those internal levers, close tolerence parts and real glass lenses in the old cameras were subject to damage too. (from experience) My son dropped a lense from my Pentax on the floor. Not good. Of course, the heavy, metal bodies made a good weapon compared to the plastic of today.

It's true my camera has at least survived a fair bit of abuse. It could be that, because it's so easy/convenient to use, I'm simply using it more, therefore increasing the chances of having it dropped or damaged.

It is fair to say I'm using it a lot more than I did with my older film cameras.