No more Armour Yellow???

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Brian Schmidt said:
Word from people in the know is that it is a fire rebuild and got a quick coat of gray paint to cover the fire damage and be put back on the road in short order. It is a one-of-a-kind unit so that shoot's down the theory of it being a gray dip job from the factory.

I understand the necessity for consistency in paint schemes, but wouldn't it be cool if they did more one-offs like this, the heritage group, the eagles and big flags, the cammo-schemes, and various others? It would give all of us foamers a little something more to look at.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
There was a custom (in Britain, at least) that a new locomotive (or class, or major variation) would be painted in "shop grey", with all the usual lining and lettering to be photographed. Proably because detail showed up better in the black&white photos. Then they were repainted into the proper colours.

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
UP is one for the "custom" schemes. Let see there's:
Torch Relay SD70M's 2001 & 2002
United way SD40-2 #3300
(now repainted) Cammo SD40-2
SD70M with an extra low lightening stripe
AC4400 Harbour Grey (missing yellow)
6 Heritage SD70ACe's
#4141, George H Bush SD70ACe
That Fmr SP bloody nose repainted with a yellow "bloody nose"

Am I missing some?

P.S. you can leave out patches...

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I remember when UP absorbed Missouri Pacific, the MoPac units had UP yellow-and-grey paint but MoPac lettering... Wonder if that counts. :D

That Fmr SP bloody nose repainted with a yellow "bloody nose"
Yellow? Shouldn't that be "snotty nose?" sign1

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Gentlemen, I didn't say one-of-a-kind units didn't exist. I said this was a one-of-a-kind job and wasn't done to get the units (note the plurality) out sooner, as Russ said.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
I don't remember if it was GE or EMD, but one of the locomotive manufacturers was not able to build locomotives as fast as the railroads needed them. They were able to speed up production by supplying the units in a "dip job" grey color to get them out with a commitment to repaint the units into the correct railroad colors at a future date when the equipment would be made available to them.
I know that holds true for the NS.Don't know about any other railroad.

Picture-002-1.jpg

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
That's primer, not paint, gentlemen. And I believe BNSF was the first to get them that way very shortly after the merger.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
UP has other gray engines, take some of their remote control engines, there are a few of them that are just gray:thumb:. i have more pics of them, if i can find them in one of MANY folders i have, I'll post more:thumb:. :D -Deano View attachment 32552

Attachments

• remote.JPG
    remote.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 55

Chanda

Aug 25, 2006
Pahrump, Nevada
I was passing thru Phoenix, AZ on Dec. 1st and caught the UP SD70ace George Bush 4141 on the point of a long passenger train all dressed up in the yellow UP colors. No pictures as I was on the freeway heading west. The train was heading East.

Chanda