No more Armour Yellow???

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by liven_letdie, Nov 25, 2006.

1. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Gee..And I was going to say it sounded like a "Quark" to me........
  2. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

Thought you might appreciate this little 70 tonner my buddy Mike Mcreynolds did. I like it :D

Attached Files:

3. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I understand the necessity for consistency in paint schemes, but wouldn't it be cool if they did more one-offs like this, the heritage group, the eagles and big flags, the cammo-schemes, and various others? It would give all of us foamers a little something more to look at.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

There was a custom (in Britain, at least) that a new locomotive (or class, or major variation) would be painted in "shop grey", with all the usual lining and lettering to be photographed. Proably because detail showed up better in the black&white photos. Then they were repainted into the proper colours.
  5. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

UP is one for the "custom" schemes. Let see there's:
    Torch Relay SD70M's 2001 & 2002
    United way SD40-2 #3300
    (now repainted) Cammo SD40-2
    SD70M with an extra low lightening stripe
    AC4400 Harbour Grey (missing yellow)
    6 Heritage SD70ACe's
    #4141, George H Bush SD70ACe
    That Fmr SP bloody nose repainted with a yellow "bloody nose"

Am I missing some?

P.S. you can leave out patches...
  6. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

I remember when UP absorbed Missouri Pacific, the MoPac units had UP yellow-and-grey paint but MoPac lettering... Wonder if that counts. :D

Yellow? Shouldn't that be "snotty nose?" sign1
  7. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

Have any pictures of the snotty nose? I would like to see that one!

8. railohio

railohio Active Member

Gentlemen, I didn't say one-of-a-kind units didn't exist. I said this was a one-of-a-kind job and wasn't done to get the units (note the plurality) out sooner, as Russ said.
  9. brakie

brakie Active Member

I know that holds true for the NS.Don't know about any other railroad.

10. railohio

railohio Active Member

That's primer, not paint, gentlemen. And I believe BNSF was the first to get them that way very shortly after the merger.
  11. brakie

brakie Active Member

Brian,Primer is still a paint..:D
  12. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

UP has other gray engines, take some of their remote control engines, there are a few of them that are just gray:thumb:. i have more pics of them, if i can find them in one of MANY folders i have, I'll post more:thumb:. :D -Deano View attachment 32552

Attached Files:

13. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Ohhhh I get it...stealth engines.
  14. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

15. McFortner

McFortner Member

With NS, they figure there is no reason to paint the primer, they will be black from lack of washing soon enough! ;)

16. Chanda

Chanda New Member

I was passing thru Phoenix, AZ on Dec. 1st and caught the UP SD70ace George Bush 4141 on the point of a long passenger train all dressed up in the yellow UP colors. No pictures as I was on the freeway heading west. The train was heading East.