No more Armour Yellow???

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
[Omaha, NE] - Due to continued economic downturn, the Union Pacific has made a daring move by changing their patented Armour Yellow paint scheme to a variation of Harbor Gray. When asked to comment on the change, Regional Supervisor Armin Shimmerman commented; "To tell you the truth, we just went with what was on sale." Investors were pleased to find out that costs from washing the locomotives would be reduced as well, having gone with a generally dirty color.

Attachments

• tmpphpFDBGNa.jpg
    tmpphpFDBGNa.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 218

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
What????!!!! No UP Armour Yellow and Gray?

Oddly there isn't anything on UP's web page and UP has declared a dividend of 30 cents per share payable January 2, 2007..I smell hoax.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
ozzy said:
some things should not change....

I agree, This is either a hoax or UP is really going with the economy. I think that UP should not change there colors just to save some money, it will change the way people look at UP, and there are aleady enough people that don't like them, me NOT being one, I love UP.:thumb: :D :D

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
See more of #6344 before the repaint here:
http://ncespee.railfan.net/UP/upac4400cw/up6344.html
This thing is an odd duck for sure. Don't know why they would repaint it grey unless they had an old bucket lying around or something. Those crazy shop guys maybe? You can see they put brand new letterring on the sides in red which doesnt really work. Ah well, at least there is some variation...

Cory

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
liven_letdie said:
BTW I made up the intro paragraph, April Fools came a little early (or late...) I just wanted to see the look on your faces :D

The B&MC Corporate Asset Protection and Liability Removal Dept. personnel, Hyram, Billy Joe Ray Bob and Sternly Hardcase III appreciate your attempt at humor and wish to show that to you with some small foul smelling token of their affection.:thumb: sign1

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
Shaygetz: (In silly french accent) I fart in your general direction...

Everyone, I'm Still waiting to get the REAL story as to what happened. This is a real unit though and word is it is not the only one, she has a twin sister in same paint scheme. What were those boys thinking?>?>?

BTW Armin Shimmerman plays Quark the Ferengi on Star Trek. Can't believe my trek freinds did not spot that one. I know of only one other Armin, that would be Armin Hammer...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't remember if it was GE or EMD, but one of the locomotive manufacturers was not able to build locomotives as fast as the railroads needed them. They were able to speed up production by supplying the units in a "dip job" grey color to get them out with a commitment to repaint the units into the correct railroad colors at a future date when the equipment would be made available to them.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Word from people in the know is that it is a fire rebuild and got a quick coat of gray paint to cover the fire damage and be put back on the road in short order. It is a one-of-a-kind unit so that shoot's down the theory of it being a gray dip job from the factory.