No more Adobe!

Discussion in 'Software' started by cgutzmer, Sep 18, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK, I admit it - I loved adobe. Now.... I don't. Constantly hangs in the background, takes forever to load etc. What FREE pdf software do you use? Does it only view or can you create etc.....
  2. Padre

Padre Guest

I use Foxit Foxit Software loads faster and causes no problems. I use the free download, opens and prints fine, if you want more ya have to buy it.
  3. Claudio

Claudio Member

Hi Chris,
    I tested successfully Primopdf you can even create a pdf file password protected.
  4. gippolot

gippolot Member

Many thanks Claudio. I was searching for a prog' to just that. I should have asked.

5. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

There is an absolutely excellent grafics browser called xnview which I use, it is incredible for all those reference images we use - as well as model files !! has great shell integration and also very good conversion and editing.

a supported plugin (ghostscript, must d/l separate so be sure to find it) will read all pdf's, and open them inside the viewer like any other image file. Also another great feature is that you can also see your pdf's in thumbnail form along with other images....

check it out at Free graphic and photo viewer - XnView - GRAPHIC VIEWER
    its also completely FREE btw.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Foxit works awesome! Gonna try Xnview too :)
  7. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

XnView's the best I've ever found, and almost always have it runnin!
    It has more features and abilities than any comprable commercialy available software, and is updated very regularly. the creator also runs a forum as well for feedback on bugs and or what should be in the next version.
    I higly reccomend it to anyone!

(here ends my advertisement) lol
  8. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

You might also take a look at PDF Creator Open source, able to make multiple page PDF's and easy to use. FREE!!
    Fred Z.
  9. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

sweet! thanks a bunch :)
  11. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

I got Foxit a couple of weeks ago. Haven't done anything except open some model files with it. It's fast and easy and it opens some files that I have trouble opening with Adobe. I only have Adobe 6 since my computer can't handle Adobe 7 and Foxit opens Trotskiy's newest which need Adobe 7.
  12. Panzerbeto

Panzerbeto New Member

How do you print PDF at a different size (i.e. %)

This Thread has just opened my eyes!!!

I find that Adobe even has blocked (slow down) my computer when more than 10 consecutive archives have been opened.

I don't know if this viewers will offer different printing settings from the ones (very rigid) in Adobe: I would like to reduce the size of Trotskiy's planes to make 1/72, but can only do it by giving smaller paper sizes and asking to fit, and is a lot of maths involved to calculate including margins.

Would be a lot easier calculating reduction ratio (percentage). Can any PDF viewer do that? Corel gives that option for all other graphics files (Photo Paint 6).

Thank you
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I was able to make those conversions with adobe - maybe your print driver is not up to date? Not sure about foxit but I will take a looksy :)
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I can only assume by no more adobe your referring to Acrobat? All their software is buggy ... especially Illustrator.

Acrobat really needs some serious re-engineering though.
  15. Panzerbeto

Panzerbeto New Member

Yep, Adobe Acrobat (PDF viewer)

I found version 8 a lot more stable but it erases occassionally some of the functions, which I assume is due to the files being created with older versions, or with extensive safety features.

Cgutzmer could be right about the printer driver. Mine is a HP Deskjet 930c with about 7 years of good use. It sometimes lets very faint horizontal lines in otherwise solid colors.wall1

May be is time to get a new one that can print "borderless", and could even see the popssibility of A3, but those cost twice as much. I'm not sure however if a new driver will give different settings for Acrobat

I will check if there is a thread for "Printing Models" or "re-scaling your PDF models".:confused:

16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I've been a fan of Adobe until it released 8.0 version, which, for me also, freezes on printing... I changed to Foxit reader ever since.
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Not for Mac Users . . .

Hi all,
    I am a Mac user and I have been using Adobe Reader 7 for a long time and just downloaded the 8 version - they both work fine for me on my Mac.

The Foxit Reader is not available to Mac OSX users: Foxit Software

It´s the same with XnView:
    Unfortunately, it seems the XnView software is no longer available to Mac users, due to "too many problems": XnView

That´s a pity - it´s always nice to have several kinds of software, especially with the option of creating pdf documents.

Bengt :thumb: