No dirty trains

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by hiscopilot, Jan 10, 2007.

1. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

I was talking to my husband about an airbrush and weathering. Later as we strolled through the store, my som looked at me with a very stern face and said," Mommy, I don't want my trains dirty"

What can I say?

I tried to explain it, but after 4 years of ingraining cleanliness into my son, how do I counter it now? :) sign1
  2. rr9731's girl

rr9731's girl New Member

show him some pictures or a real life trains and explain that they are ment to be dirty because the roadbed is dirty or something along them lines:D
  3. berraf

berraf Member

It´s trough the mouth of a child that you and I get to know the truth ;)
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Weathering can come later. :)
  5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

How about a compromise? Clean engines and cabooses (if you run them) and a variety of weathered rolling stock... After all this is the way it is/was on many real-world railroads... ;) :D

6. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Keep a passenger train or two around.. Those are supposed to be clean! :D
  7. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

all very valid points. guess it just caught me off guard. i thought a little boy would enjoy "messing" something up.

it will be a while anyway. i was just nudging the hubby really trying to hint about an airbrush ;)
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you'd like to get him into weathering and painting cars, why not try a few undecorated kits? My 5 year-old likes painting her stuff - I am sure the multiple coats of paint now weigh more than the original boxcar underneath...!

9. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

There really is no reason why anything on the railroad has to be weatherd at all. I don't think anybody even thought of weathering until John Allen first did it on his Gorre & Dephetid railroad in the early 50's. I think sometimes we forget that when we are building a model railroad for kids it is really about the kids and what they want it to look like.
  10. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Explain to him tha they're not dirty...they're weathered just like the car outside.
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

announce1 Ya doesn't needs an airbrush....:thumb: :D

A little Wally World craft paint, a little imagination and a couple o' cheap brushes an' a can o' Krylon 1311 Clear Matte that coin fer some real railroadin'...:wave:

12. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

A once beautiful and proud engine, now a greasy dirty boy who likes to play in the dirt. But somehow still beautiful.
  13. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Shaygetz - man those are some good looking pictures and some great modeling!
  14. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

then keep them clean. I believe that you are doing island of Sodor, Right? I don't think any of the trains (save for a few special occasions) want to be dirty, so just keep 'em clean.:thumb:
  15. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

You're right- out of the Thomas sets we're not doing weathering. We do have some other "real" trains that we will weather. He is coming around. He is one of those kids that you can teach something and he wants it like that. So the idea of what real trains look like helps!
  16. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Well, if it's Henry he definitely won't be weathered! But I think there are a few of the others that could get a good dose of tar or molasses or feathers (Diesels should have both) and other assorted calamities.
  17. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

Hehe, you have that right about Henry!

We dont have any Diesels for Thomas yet...
    But we have Thomas, Henry, Gordon, Toby, and are supposed to get James as soon as the place I ordered from fixes their shipping error and will have Toby when my neighbor finds his! I think thats quiet enoughto run an "Island of Sodor". But I am sure that will change when we get closer to completion (are these things EVER really done?).
  18. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

WOW I missed a whole clump of responses up there...
    Those are great weathered trains!

I think I want an airbrush for something nostalgic out of my childhood... I loved creating and modeling with mine when I was a kid (I dodnt model anything in particular, just if we found a good deal on a model car or something sometimes I would build them). Sadly, my childhood airbrush bit the dust after Hurricane Opal where it ws being stored in a warehouse 1 block off the beach...

As far as getting my son to weather his stuff, maybe he will maybe he wont, but I would love to. These are for the entire family, not just him and he needs to learn that. We do this togetehr. He'll just have to keep his clean if he wants them that way. I may find out I am pathetic at weathering and not do more than 1, or I may be good at it and enjoy it where I will do everything I can find HAHA

Anyhow, its fun that its constantly changing environment. One could never get bored with this hobby.
  19. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks for the kind words. I have nothing against airbrushes so much as I wanted to show what could be done without one. I have a Pasche at my disposal but it just sits there, mostly because I don't feel like cleaning it when I'm finished. So much easier to clean a brush.:thumb:
  20. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Uh, 2 tobys? you mean Percy the Second time right? As for James, FREE ENGINE!:D Also, I think Mavis is a desiel shunter. with all these trains you DEFENENTLY need DCC, no joke. That or really complecated block wireing.