NMRA Toronto Train exhibit cancelled

interurban

:( :( :( Our Traction in action group have been officialy been informed with a nice letter that the NMRA Toronto Train exhibit has been cancelled:( :( :(

Clerk

Sorry that you won't be able to show off all your traction stuff but with the SCAR scare on it is better to be cautious than take a chance.

spitfire

However, please note that the NMRA convention itself is not cancelled, and I'm still going and still having my big post-convention BBQ on Saturday July 19. Whooooo Hooooo!

(And can I just take this opportunity to say the the whole SARS thing has been totally exaggerated by the media).

cheers
Val

RailRon

Chris, so sorry for you that the Train exhibit was cancelled - another victim to the SARS hystery.

Val, I share your opinion that the infection risk of SARS is exaggerated. As far as I heard, the latest Toronto cases broke out in one single hospital among nurses and doctors.

Here in Switzerland we had even the government issuing an idiotic decision: We had an world wide jewelry sales exhibition - and they forbade all the chinese jewelers to participate - more than a third of all the exhibitors! Result: Instead in the official exhibition halls, sellers and buyers met in hotels all over the city. Now if there had been a real infection risk, the outbreak would have been dispersed in a completely uncontrollable way. Thank God nothing happened...

I wish I could attend the NMRA convention - SARS or not. And, Val, I'll miss your BBQ!

Ron

brakie

Val,Make my burger medium with a dash of BBQ sause...:D

I still plan on heading that way..:D

rockislandmike

This whole SARS thing is p-----g me off so much, I just may come out to Toronto after all. Heck, it's only 3500 km.

Stupid media.

rsn48

You don't have to worry about getting SARS in Toronto, but watch those burgers - Mad Cows Disease.....lol:D :p

yes u have to worrie a hole school just got it there a week ago im not goin y would they even have it there jeezz thats not smart they should have it in like buffalo or syraques or something
who is goin to the train show in syraques in november??? or the clayton show im ganna be there

interurban

A whole school got what?????????????????????????????????????
One family one child , one school quarantine. Now opened for teaching. The Family Member is POORLY with sars.
But someone has told the world a whole school is down with SARS?
Media again??
Now wonder the show is cancelled.
Think I will start a rumer HHHHHMMMMMMM:rolleyes:

leghome

The biggest reason some of the vendors cancelled thier participation in the National Train Show is that thier Insurance Co.s would not cover thier employees if they contracted SARS. I know I would not want to send my employees anywhere where the Ins. Co. would not cover them.

shaygetz

I'd love to go to Canada, SARS or no. It's kinda monotonous, these 70 degree winters on the Gulf of Mexico... Then I'd come back and sneeze into Peter Jenning's coffee :eek: I'd like my burger medium rare please, with lotsa chees and a dash o' Tabasco....

Mike R

Larry, the fact that insurers wouldn't cover employees who might have contracted SARS in Toronto SHOULD mean that no one from the USA travel anywhere ever again.
BTW, thousands of Toronto area people have been in the USA, every day of the week for the past 2 months, just like there are all the time, every day of the year...chances are, anyone traveling anywhere may have been on a plane, or in a restaurant or office, with a Toronto Person.

Let's face it, the majority of US corporations buy the cheapest HMO coverage possible, and these plans like to exempt virtually everything they can from coverage.
A blanket disclaimer like this has them rubbing their hands together. They will harass and delay non-SARS cases over this.
HMO's are not about illness or disease, they're about profit.

Even if the convention & show were last week, there was virtually no risk to visitors to Toronto, as long as they stayed away from the designated hospitals/ schools. How hard would that have been ?
Playboy is in town this week, shooting pictures of centerfold hopefuls...for the camera work they have to use an ex-pat Canadian who isn't afraid of the city....( I emailed them that I'm not afraid either . )

The biggest threat to us ALL this year is West Nile Virus, which made it's way into Canada via the USA. The disease-carrying mosquitos do not concern themselves with quarantines, they don't stop at border checkpoints, or answer questions...and they NEVER cancel their meeting or conventions. But even this disease will be blown out of proportion by a frenzied media, and lapped up by the naively underinformed.
:( :(
regards / Mike

rockislandmike

Ditto the West Nile thing.

I find it interesting that Canada has had 31 deaths due to SARS this year. The ONLY way you could be at risk, like the previous poster said, is if you were in that hospital or school.

Meanwhile, West Nile KILLED TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FOUR Americans last year. Including 64 in Illinois, 51 in Michigan, and 31 in Ohio. And yet nobody's stopped traveling to those states. Hhhhmmmmmmmmm........

And how are you most at risk to West Nile. Mosquitoes. And how are you going to be stopped from being bitten by ANY mosquitoes. Unlikely as heck.

And the poster who said everyone in the school had SARS is DEAD WRONG. Check your facts please. They are currently quarantined, that is NOT the same thing as having SARS.

Darnit people, think and do some research before you start typing. And don't just depend on the news to get your info. Because they're feeding you lies and half-truths. You think you woulda learned by now.

Oh, and by the way, there are SIXTY NINE cases of SARS to date in the USA. About a third of the number in Canada. No deaths YET, but there will be. Just a matter of time.

C

Catt

Me thinks the biggest risk to both Canada and the US is the news media. I think my northern neibors are getting reamed.

Val,I like my burgers medium well with mustard /mayo and pickle.

Wish I could afford to join you good people.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Go to http://www.ml2003.com for updates...

Just to be clear....

The Maple Leaf 2003 NMRA convention is still on!

The NMRA cancelled the NTS (National Train Show) which is the public show at the end of the NMRA convention. The National Train Show is the part of the convention that is open to the general public on July 18, 19 and 20.

This was cancelled by NMRA head office because so many vendors pulled out of the show due to SARS.

The local chapter of the NMRA that is hosting the convention is making heroic efforts to save the NTS...

They are looking for a smaller venue as well as other options, so don't count it out yet...

The home layout tours, clinics and other events that are part of the main convention are still scheduled to go on...

So visit the Maple Leaf 2003 Webpage for Updates...

If nothing else, the BBQ at Val's should be worth the trip to T.O.!