NMRA Toronto Show

spitfire

Thanks for the photos Chris! You are truly our "roving reporter"! I really like the shots with the little guys getting all into it. I of course forgot my camera, or I would have taken at least one photo of a particularly cool layout - something about Traction in Action, I think it was......

cheers
:D Val

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
It's time to take a break

from building Modules to do a few sit-ups.... :p :p :p

My paunch is blocking part of the view. :D :D :D

The Gauge name tags are a great idea, too bad I was the only one wearing one....

I was having such a good time talking to everyone that came by and working on my modules, that I didn't get away to look around at all on Saturday and only for a short while on Sunday.

I talked myself hoarse and had a great time doing it...

I wouldn't let folks get away with only taking a glance at the modules and then walking away. As soon as I saw someone looking I would say "Hi, what would you like to know? Ask me anything you'd like..." That got people talking... Some people wanted to know all about the OCMODS and others were more interested in construction techniques. The home made hot-wire styrofoam cutter was very popular! As well as the hand laid track...

I got to meet a few Gaugers and checked out their displays.

The Traction in Action Rocks! Interurben a.k.a. Chris and the gang has done a fabulous job! Gotta add overhead to the modules!

I heard that Spitfire, a.k.a. Val was in attendance on Saturday, but she didn't wander very far from the Traction in Action area...

Met Storm a.k.a. Jeff and checked out the Panther Hobbies display. I know a couple of other guys from Panther Hobbies already and told them that they either have to move the store 1/2 mile East or have the Toronto Transit Commission extent bus service further west so that I can get to the store without having to walk too far.

60103 a.k.a. Dave dropped by a couple of times.... I think he's a closet On30er... :D Come over to the dark side David..... (Cue evil laugh...)

I've been invited back for the Christmas Show in November with the Narrow Gauge Madness group and I hope to see more of you there...

Mike R

Originally posted by GNRail
However I was a little disappointed with the vendor turnout.

This is NOT a knock against the organizers.
It's quite understandable that the cost of a table would be high in that location, but there's a limit to what is affordable or recoverable from sales.
Many part-time vendors( myself included ), simply cannot afford to pay 4 to 5 times the normal cost of a typical train show table, (plus travel and accomodation cost for those of us from out of town.)
I participate in several trainshows a year, Brampton, Barrie, Midland, Bracebridge,etc. and typically each 8 foot table costs between $40.00 and $50.00 for the weekend. I need 2 tables at each show.
The Toronto vendor booths were $195.00 for a single table.

Again...NOT a complaint, but it's why quite a few vendors passed up the chance to go in the replacement show.
best regards / Mike

spitfire

Oh and by the way, here's a shot of the BBQ also taken by Chris, on Dave Flinn's camera, emailed to and posted by me - now how's that for a team effort? Left to right are Ernie, Dave, Val and Glen. This is just before Glen started barking like a dog - LOL!

:D Val

Attachments

• assemblage.jpg
    assemblage.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 40

brakie

Whew! That was a real close call for me..You see I had plans on going to the convention and the BBQ but was involve in a car wreck on the way there..Now I see all of those great pictures I am glad I wasn't around those shutter bugs..You see whenever I see a camera I play like a ghost and vanish..:eek: :D

akrrnut

I had the opportunity to attend the NMRA convention in Portland in 1994. I had a wonderful time, especially going on the pair of tours I was able to attend. Unfortunately, the Toronto convention was just too far away. Maybe I'll be able to make it to the convention next year in Seattle.

As far as the cost of tables at the train show, I also had a booth at the Portland convention, and I suspect they justify the additional cost because of the far higher number of people going to the train show. I was able to attend the convention free as an exhibitor, which helped to offset the cost. It's too bad so many manufacturers didn't attend because of the SARS scare. Of course, the report that Toronto was safe came out far too late...