NMRA Toronto Show

spitfire

Hi Folks. Thought I'd start a new thread relating to the convention and show, which officially begins this evening with the first series of clinics.

If anyone wants to wear an unofficial Gauge ID badge the link is here

A link to the convention site is
here.

And finally, I'm having a BBQ on Friday July 18, from about 6 - 9 pm for Gauge members and their friends. My place is about a 10 minute drive from the convention site. All I ask is that you contact me by email or private message to let me know how many you will be and to get directions and phone no.

I had to change the date of the BBQ due to scheduling conflicts and I apologize to all those who can't make it on Friday. You will be missed!

Anyway, hope to see lots of us Gaugers at the convention!

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• bbq.jpg
    bbq.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 378

storm

well my day just ended. for the last 2 days we over at panther hobbies have had ppl from teh self guided layout tour in. we r open again on thurs from 4 till 10 i think if anyone wants to stop in directions

Toronto Show

Just checking in on Monday morning. I arrived here about five last evening and settled in. Taking the Red Rocket Clinic this morning and Toronto South Layout Tour this evening. Might squeeze in a clinic, or at least visit the SIG Roundhouse this afternoon. Unfortunately, I'm going to miss Val's BBQ, as it conflicts with a tour to BAyview Junction, which I don't want to miss. If it gets back early (gg), I may try to drop by Val's, but no promises. Maybe some of us will meet at one or more Convention events.

spitfire

I'll be going to the Toronto Center layout tour Monday evening at 7 pm and the Mississauga layout tour Wed. morning 8 am. If anyone wants to hook up for some clinics, let me know!

cheers
Val

Pooh Bah
the other side of the layout tours

We just had a busload of people in to see MY layout!
I managed to corral 4 people and get them to operate (first operating session, too) while I acted as host.
26 people in to see my stuff! Some of them taking pictures/videos/??? of it.
All 26 of them signed the guest book, too.
They were quite disciplined, as they divided themselves into the first shift to the layout and the second shift to the garden. It did get a bit crowded, especially when I had to help with the control panels. They even invited the bus driver in, as she hadn't seen a model railway before.
Dayle servedcold water and maple leaf cookies.
Tomorrow, I get 22 in, but only 2 operators. After that, Dayle and I are going to the Non-Rail luncheon. No, Chris it's not a Trackless Trolley. :D

rsn48

I'm an operator at my friends home which is almost always on the NMRA layout tours. I like them because there is so much excitement and interest and you meet some great folks. Sound like you have had a similar experience...

Good luck on tomorrow's tour.

spitfire

David, I wish I had known your layout was on the tour, I would have signed up to see it for sure. Just got back from a tour in the Toronto area, made rather lengthy by the bus driver getting lost 3 times!!!!! Unbelievable - the last time was within sight of the hotel too. However the tour was a blast, will post some photos as soon as I can, but first I have a model to finish for the contest. (why not, eh?) Perhaps I will see you at the luncheon tomorrow - I'll be there with my mom.

cheers
Val

cpr_paul

Damn, I feel like I'm passing up the opportunity of a lifetime here missing the NMRA convention. Just too much stuff happening right now to get around to the trains. Hope everyone is enjoying the convention, and our beautiful city.

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by cpr_paul
Damn, I feel like I'm passing up the opportunity of a lifetime here missing the NMRA convention. Just too much stuff happening right now to get around to the trains. Hope everyone is enjoying the convention, and our beautiful city.

I know how you feel. A few years ago we had the convention here in Long Beach. I debated about registering for it, but didn't because I didn't think I would have time for anything. I was right. Our modular club had a large setup, and I managed to get to the show on one day for a quick run around the hall. I was there for perhaps 2 hours! I can understand doing conventions in the summer, no school, good weather in other parts of the country, etc.; but when your job is refrigeration, summer is not a good time for anything else!

spitfire

Update

My mom and I had a great time last night on the "Toronto Centre" layout tour. She had as much fun checking out the gardens as I did checking out the layouts. I've posted a few photo's here
I have also entered my first ever NMRA contest, and am keeping my fingers crossed for an honorable mention or something.
Have another layout tour tomorrow morning bright and early (8 am!!) and then it's clinics for the rest of the week. I'm going to try to get some photos of the cooler contest entries too.

cheers
Val

Blake

Sounds like fun. I went to the NMRA convention in Pittsburgh PA back in 1990. Went on a pretty cool layout tour. With your modeling talent, I would expect more than an honorable mention.

interurban

are we having fun yet????

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Convention , I hope all our visiters get to see our great City too;)
If you have a spare few hours I recommend taking a streetcar run Carlton 506 car travells through a lot of different "Cultures".
From Little India, to Little Italy, also our Pourtugese and Spanish familys. and of course China Town.:D
505 Dudas car also is a similer ride.
501 is our longest streetcar ride from Nevill Loop to Long branch.
And of course the KING 504 car will take you through our downtown core.
Further North we have St,Clair avenue.
North and south you can ride the Bathurst or the Spadina car.
All these hook up to subway lines and TTC offer a day pass.
Hope you have the time to ride the rails.:D ;)

Toronto

What a coincidence! I just left a clinic on the TTC. Somebody asked what were good routes to take, and the answer was the Carlton route, among others. Unfortunately, I won't have time to do any more TTCing this trip; but I'll undoubtedly be back to Toronto again. We've been coming up to the Royal Winter Fair every year for about the past thirty!

Again, unfortunately, but it still looks like I'm going to miss Val's party, as I will be at Bayview Junction; but that's something I really don't want to pass up, as I have never been there.

I expect to be at the Train Show on Saturday from late morning until ???. Maybe I'll find some of you there.

storm

anyone going to the show on sat or sun u can find me at teh panther hobbies both. i am the young guy about 21 LOL

interurban

Hope to see you at the Train show, Look for the "Traction in Action" layout.
We have one man down with a broken toe:(
I hope to get a Tooth ach sorted Friday 12noon:(
And then I will be a happy chappy:D

Toronto Show

No, I am not going to the banquet. That's why I was looking forward to Val's party on Saturday, before she changed it; but I understand why.

I plan to be at the show on Saturday, but can't say where, as I plan to look it all over. I expect to get there late morning and will stay until I have exhausted what I want to see. Also may be meeting some (non NMRA) friends there.

storm

well i feel dumb now. i was up at the internatnal center tonight seting up and was going to stop by val's bbq after. so befro i left the house to go set up i copyed down the info on how to get there. well i guess in my rush to leave the house i copyed down house #30 and not #33. now it is 8:30 and to late to go back. i guess that is what u get for leaving everything to the last second LOL