Nieuport Style Cowls

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

Richard started this with his wonderful designs of rotary engines. The cowl shown here is the third in a series of development. It consists of two bands of tooling foil assembled by applying printed paper to the back with thinned Barge cement, cutout and joined with paper joining strips. The assembly was then worked with a series of burnishing tools and hand wheels to the rounded shape of the Nieuport cowl. The cowl was then sanded with 220 grit sandpaper followed by polishing with rough synthetic steel wool. The engine is an unfinished U1 Oberursel. Scale is 1:33.

2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Your craftsmanship is amazing Gil.
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Gil............ your metal technique is really something to behold! Maybe you could resurect your tutorial on this?

4. Gil

Gil Active Member

I try to remain positive about tutorials but we all have fond memories of the the tutorials that have been lost with each sucessive site wipe. In fact I just checked to see if the present site has a forum category, it doesn't. I guess we need a tutorial category. Any support for this?

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I truley was not picking at an old sore......... but since you last showed us this technique with the DC-3 nose, and the Hellcat cowling, and now the Nieuport, I, for one, would love to see your techniques posted. Heck I even bought some of that aluminum tooling foil from St Louis Crafts:grin:

I just ain't got up the guts to cut it up and play with it............ not yet anyway!:twisted:

So I guess I vote YES for some form of a Tutorial section.

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Can't Believe You Remembered That Far Back!

Totally amazed that anyone remembers that far back, what's more that the subjects are remembered! That's amazing...,

It still requires a separate category for long term reference.

It's not as difficult as it may look or sound. I think most people are intimidated by the thought of metal forming and will be somewhat surprised at how easy it is once shown. There is two styles of forming, aluminum side out and paper side out. Aluminum side is self explanatory. Paper side out allows print side on the outside allowing compound curves to be formed with the paper (how far will paper stretch?) hence the demonstration with the F6F nose. The intent is to encourage experimentation in an area which would help release the paper model to compete freely with cast models. Which brings up paper casting. Anyone for a compound curved cast paper model made from dryer lint?

7. airbob

airbob Member

Tooling foil thickness?

This is wonderful crafmanship! How thick is the tooling foil say compaired to the standard Wally World 120lb card stock? I've used the Red River Silver Paper...but you cannot deform it beyond just a slight bend....and can you print on the tooling foil?
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tooling Foil

Hello Bob,

Tooling Foil can be found in various thicknesses with the most popular being 36 gauge or 0.005 inch thickness. It's made from dead soft aluminum and is easily formed. Other varieties available are made from copper and brass which have similar forming abilities. Printing without special presses is not recommended. Instead the printed paper is bonded as a cutout template and/or color swatch for the intended part. The part is used like any other part made from card stock except that it can also be formed into compound curves. The paper used is 100% cotton. It has the best ability to stretch and gather with the aluminum being worked.

Here's the source that I use for tooling foil:

Best regards, -Gil
  9. airbob

airbob Member

Tooling foil

Thanks I may give this stuff a try for the metal cowls, ect. Another alternative to getting the (paper) models to look more like the real thing! thanks for this volunteering this approach!!!