Nieuport 11

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by EricGoedkoop, Jun 18, 2005.

1. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Hi guys -

Finished up my Nieuport 11, scratchbuilt in 1/48th scale. More pictures in the gallery.

Comments, questions and critiques are welcome.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy EricGoedkoop,

Beautifully done! You did a great job something everyone would be proud to have. I know you build for your own pleasure.......hence the scratch build, but with models of this quality you could make a killing selling kits.

again good work!

have a good day,

greg aka GW
  3. jcrespo

jcrespo Member

Hello EricGoedkoop,

:shock: :shock: :shock: absolutely beautiful work. Love the clean lines!
    More pics please!

4. lunarhighway

lunarhighway Member

what a beautifull model, and a very clean build indeed!

nice to see a plane in belgian markings btw :)
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

What beautiful work at scale! You must have a great deal of patience and a very steady hand. Thank you for the great viewing.

More please...,

6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

What a pleasure to view. Thank you! - Leif
  7. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

I don't know about that, but thanks for the kind words. I've thought a lot about making kits, but I'm not so sure that some of my preferred techniques would translate well into kit form. Guess there's only one way to find out . . . .

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Eric,

Well I understand what you mean about it not translating, if you build scratch kits, you use your own methods to do certain things, methods that work for you. But, modelers are resourceful ppl and catch on pretty fast for the most part I believe, and I am sure there are modifications that you make "along the way" as you build the models, but, having to modify parts is not something that, in my opinion, detracts from the overall enjoyment of building a model, be it a scratch build or kit.
    And we are all amazed at the beauty of your models, so like you say, theres only one way to find out........ release a model sometime, get some feed back on how easily it goes together for others, then when you see that they are accepted well, go commercial , quit your day job and retire on an island lol. There you can designa and build all you want while the money comes rolling in.

anyway, again a great looking plane, have a nice day,

9. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

I actually took a ton of pictures during construction and a whole bunch more of the finished model - I tried to attach them here as a .zip but it didn't seem to work so well. If anyone would like to see them, shoot me an email at and I'll get them over to you. I apologize for missing the very beginning; the first photos show the fuselage already built and the cockpit nearly finished but otherwise the build is fairly well documented. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
  10. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Aaaahhhhh - isn't that what we'd all like to do?

I'm planning an experiment during my next build - I'm going to try scanning all the parts in the flat as I make them and see how it comes out. If it looks promising, perhaps I'll enlist a few volunteer test-builders and we'll give it a shot. The things I like are making parts from solid-colored card and paper instead of printing (obviously I had to get away from that quite a bit with the Nie.11's camo) and replicating interior structure three-dimensionally instead of trying to imitate it with printed textures - in my opinion this works especially well on wood-and-fabric wings and the finished product looks much more realistic. If I can come close to duplicating my scratchbuilt product by scanning the parts, maybe I'll be on to something. I hope you guys like cutting - lots and lots of cutting.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Eric,

Well I mentioned in past threads that I visit my local picture framing shop regularly and take their matting "reminents" off their hands for them. Some is solid color ( and there are lots of colors to choose from), and some are one color on one side, a different color on the other. Now most of them are big enough for wing formers and body formers, but Occassionally I do get larger sheets that could be used for entire models themselves. ( like 24" x 36" sheets). This material is almost 1/8th inch thick, but also comes in other thicknesses.
    Some people complain that it too rigid to be useful, but in formers and single piece wing construction it works fine for what I want.
    So, if you wanna try a material a little different, go by the local frame store and ask if you can go thru their scraps, or ask em to save em for ya, I always come out of the store with a grocey bag full of free material.

have a good day,