nickel balsa gliders???

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
nickel balsa gliders???
i guess this is aviation related..........
wow, I had a flash from the past today at ace hardware. remember those 5 cent balsa gliders thrifty used to sell? I sued to skip my nickel milk for lunch, drink water and get one of these every day lol.

www.guillow.com $2.79-starfire/jetfire balsa gliders

blake7

Apr 19, 2012
Mannington wv.
This brings back old memories. I don't know how much they were when I was a kid, but they must have be cheap enough because mom would buy one when I asked. I did a search on e-bay and there are ones I never seen when I was a kid like Red Baron, and a F-14. Thank you for stirring up good times.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Oh my, I was so into those. I used to around off the edges, and form the wings into airfoils using steam from a Tea Pot. I also would fuse two together, melt one prop (at the base, were they attach to the spinner) so they would wind spin opposite in direction. That and a little brake fluid on the rubber band yielded spectacular flights. They were/are a blast! :)

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
We used to collect aluminum cans and pop bottles for spending money. We got in to building model rockets when in junior high school and I got hooked on the boost gliders. I designed a twin boom glider with downward rudders- had NO idea of aspect ratios, proper dihedral angles for the wings, wing or rudder surface area, etc. I just made it look "right" That thing flew like a dream. We hand launched it from a high hill that over-looked an access road. Ah the memories...

Best Regards,