Nice 1/8 Dirtbike...

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Stev0, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

great find!
  3. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

WAY cool find, StevO! I have all of the Yamaha papercraft bikes saved so this one's in the folder now too. I never heard of this model of Yamaha though...must be a non-us bike. But then again, I've been away from motorcycles for almost 20 years now.

4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice one!
    Thanks SteveO!
    Your link just points to the download page, SteveO.
    Do you have a link to the designers or websites front page?

5. JLKasper

JLKasper New Member

It's an XT225 Serow, which translates into some kind of mountain goat. I owned its predecessor, a 1984 XT250. Mine had a drum front brake, a kickstarter, a DOHC single engine with two carbs for performance. It didn't stop very well, was difficult to start, but handled well and had decent performance. The Serow came out with a disc and electric start, and a simpler engine with a single carb. It was a pretty good bike for what it was, but the market drifted away from useful bikes just to putt around on. I think Yammy still makes a version of it. Their primary dual-purpose bike now is a TW200, with big fat tires that looks cool, but it's a fish out of water on the street when run with lower air pressures for off-road stuff.
  6. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

Thanks for the description. I've been away from bikes for quite awhile. My last bike was a '48 H-D WL-45 (not a pristine was a rat bike that had whatever thrown on it to keep it on the road). The only Yamaha I ever owned was an old '73 360 trail bike, I was a skinny 15 year old at the time. It had a manual decompression lever that didn't work, so it kicked back pretty bad when I tried to start it cold. It got to the point where I'd heat up the carb with a hairdryer then jump-start it while rolling down a small hill that our house was on, which seemed to work pretty well.

7. archangel1

archangel1 Member

Thanks for the link. Nice bike, but is it just me or is anybody else having problems downloading the instructions? :confused:

I've tried it from two different computers but I can't see anything after I save the pdf. I get a flash of images but then everything goes blank. There is no problem with the actual parts file, though.

Any suggestions?

8. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Just downloaded model and instructions, both opened fine for me. Running Windows XP w/SP2.
  9. archangel1

archangel1 Member

So am I, but it's still no go. Just tried again with the same result. What version of Adobe Reader are you using? I'm on 8.1 or something and apparently it is not compatible with some earlier files. I've already got at least one pdf file I can no longer open (which I paid for!) unless I revert back to Version 7 which I don't want to do. Version 8 has a number of much better features that I like. Adobe Reader even updated the Japanese fonts when I tried to download the file. Maybe I'll have to uninstall it, again, and reload it. :cry:
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I have 8 and it's fine for me although some older pdfs no longer function and open to show blank pages .... all of troitsky's do this now. I'm not having any luck with that guy whatsoever.
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I don't see the problem here. I linked to the page that had the model on it and didn't direct link it which is a no-no?
  12. archangel1

archangel1 Member

Okay, solved the problem! :thumb:
    Somewhere along the line, I lost my Japanese fonts package for Adobe Reader. I just redownloaded all the available foreign language fonts for Adobe Reader 8 from Adobe and reinstalled them. I can read the instructions, now!

Mike :wave:
  13. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Great Mike!! Glad you finally broke through there! Have fun!