Nibbler question

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
I went out an bought the nibbler posted in the suggestions thread - I got mine from Radio Shack in Vancouver, BC.

Are there any tips on how to use it. Will it follow a straight line well?

How do you align the nibbler part of the tool to the line you want to follow?

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
I don't have one yet but from what I understand,you drill a hole through the middle of the area you want to cut out and then "nibble your way" to the sides INSTEAD of using them as you would a pair of scissors..
Hope that helps. Let us know how well they work.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I've used a nibbler like that for many years cutting holes in aluminum and plastic. Normally it will follow a straight line if you are able to guide it, but the line will be rought and usually requires filing to smooth it out. The nibbler also has a tendency to bind up when the waste material gets stuck.

You use it as Matt says. I would draw lines for your cutout, then drill you hole to poke the nibble up through it. Then start nibbling small pieces in one direction , around 1/16" with each nibble, until you get to your mark, then change directions and start again. You are limited in the thickness of material it will work on, and don't try to use it on steel over about .010" thick or you will either break your hand or the tool.

Hope this helps.

Don