ngauger - challenge #1

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Now, for my next step, I had to build a rail support and also design something to keep these rails from spreading open. I decided that a good foundation of 2 x 4's would carry the weight of the Bachmann Climax, so I cut out the middles of the ties, cut 2 2x44's to fit under the track, painted them white and set it all up as below.

Attachments

• challenge 002.jpg
    challenge 002.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 170

N Gauger

After screwing it all together, I re checked the level of the tracks (Close enough) :D

And then started the positioning of the wood for the supports of the rails... That piece of 1/4" plywood is 5 1/2" x 16 1/2".... I set the wood against the ends of the ties.. this is what keeps it in line...

Attachments

• challenge 003.jpg
    challenge 003.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 225

N Gauger

Next problem..... Note on the prototype, the concrete comes almost to the rails... I need some more wood here.. After measuring with a scrap piece of 1/4" - I found I was 1/8" short... Spacers are a good thing!!!!! I put some spacers cdown, then cut and set the "top" pieces of 1/4" a little higher than the railheads :)

Attachments

• challenge 006.jpg
    challenge 006.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 214

N Gauger

Now we're close to the prototype... :) Both ends of the ties are tightly wedged in between the wood. The rails are not moving "outward, (They will move in, but teh flanges on the cars and engines will compensate for that)

Now... concrete... hmmmmmmmmmm

I always wanted to try spackle as concrete.. I decided that this would be a good test...

Step 1 -- Take a good portion of spackle and put it on the wood...

Step 2 -- Get a small bowl of water

Step 3 -- Wet you rhands and smear the spackle around.. :) :) This is the fun part!!!!

Step 4 -- Use a paint stick (wet it first) to smooth it out as much as you can. Remember - you can always come back for a second coat in a day or 2 when this first coat dries...

Step 5 -- When you finally have all the spackle totally smoothed out, go wash your hands... and stand back (3 ft) and Look!!!!!!

Attachments

• challenge 007.jpg
    challenge 007.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 204

N Gauger

Now, take one finger and wet it and clean off the spackle on the rails :)

Now you got it!!!!

A repair pit for a car or locomotive.... Of course, Sizes vary. You might not need a 16" long one for your Ho cars :D :D But since my cars are a foot long, I thought 2" on either end would be ok...

I'll have to see how this dries to see if I need a second coat...

ezdays

Out AZ way
You are marching along just fine now...:thumb: Man, the competition is really heating up now.:D :D

N Gauger

The hardest part was finding scrap 1/4" plywood, with a straight edge :eek: :eek: :eek: 2 of them no less!!!! sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

N Gauger

Here's a pic of the concrete finished.. It took 3 coats of spackle, smoothing it out by hand and a drywall knife.

Attachments

• Karl 30 026.jpg
    Karl 30 026.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 109

N Gauger

And the cardboard box, that will be the "Structure" of the building. It measures 20" X 20" X 14" tall. That's 33' X 33' X 23' tall on the prototype.

Attachments

• Karl 30 025.jpg
    Karl 30 025.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 158

N Gauger

Well, I know I'm not going to finish on time, but I'll keep working on it anyway :)

Here's what i finished so far :)

Attachments

• Layout 012.jpg
    Layout 012.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 153

N Gauger

The trolly stops intside just to get a good look... :) The front has the wood panels in place, theright side shows the side of the cardboard box that I used as a base. The long slits are windows, that i cut plexiglass for.... The orange wires ahe holding the plexi in place. The 2 smallesquare windows are skylights (Plexiglass) and have extruded aluminum frames.

It measures 21 X 21 X 16" tall