NG or HO Logging, what grade?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
See why we need an logging/NG forum, Shamus?:D :D :D

I was looking at the pictures for the bridge contest and it brings up the question of grade. Shamus you're running a 5% grade there, and Pete mentioned a very steep grade in the next post. I know those mortal flatlanders get all nervy whenever they get over about 2% grade. What's a realistic maximum for a logging layout in HO and what's realistic for NG? I'm thinking the narrow gauge trains are short, and the logging trains are too, and they can go very steep. Can we do 10% if we are only pulling 2 or 3 cars?

While we're at it, what's working for min radius for you guys, HO logging, HOn3 and HOn30???

I'm picturing Jack N., with a S--- eating grin, going up a %10 grade with the drivers slipping 1/2 a turn with each steam chuff, hair unkempt, needing shaved.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jon,
Yes it is a 5% grade on a curve that tresle of mine in the contest thread. I now have an 8% grade with a loco pushing 5 skelton cars up it without any trouble at all. Must say that the loco is a "Shay" and is quite heavy.

Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Excellent! Any advice on what shay to buy for such shenanigans? Are the MDC's any good? I know someone said in the HOn3 vs. HOn30 thread to stay away from the kit and plan to repower.

Those Knudsens have plenty of time on their hands and can make a run up the hill several times pulling just one or two cars if they have too.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Jon,
Minimum radius would be determined by the locomotive you are going to use for the operation. A MDC 2-8-0 in HOn3 would probably work best at no less than 18" radius. Standard gauge HO probably 20" minimum.
Grade, I'd choose the loco, and the number of cars you'd be using, and see just how steep a grade they could handle,( lay the minimum radius curve out on a sheet of plywood/foam/homasote/whatever, and elevate one end until the train can't climb the hill. Cut it a little slack, and go with it.)
If you use a Shay, or Heistler,or Climax, you could tighten up the minimum radius.
Pete