Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diesel 1960-1980

• Electric & Diesel 1980-present

• Total voters

CN1

May 6, 2003
For your next purchase what era (Decade) rolling stock will you buy?
This is nothing like a scientific poll of course :rolleyes: but I'm curious what era we model :confused: :D :)

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Well, my P2K Rock Island GP38-2 (delivered to the RI in 1976) is FINALLY on it's way from Tony's, and I have the Atlas IC boxcar (built 1967) and the two blue RI GP7s (out of the CIP in 1976) on order, so I can even narrow it down equipment-wise to the late 60's - late 70's.

However, I model a regional RIL in 1996. The older equipment fits a regional road of this year well, judging by what was in use by the real IAIS and IMRL that year!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,I have the C&O that can fit the 60s or the Chessie era in the 70s and of course I have some Chessie units as well, plus my own freelance short line that can fit from 1978-2004. :D

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
For me I am looking at getting a few more of the Accurail outside truss wood boxcars. I have an LNE one and I just ordered the extra number decals from Accurail. I would like to pick up a few more and hopefully do so soon.

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
I am currently looking to get me a nice Atlas Clinchfield F7 a-b set but I am also on the look out for anything Chessie System or CSX .

My Mother is modelling B&O and the C&O currently and may also branch into the Western Maryland as well. Between us we have a lot of the back history of the Chessie System covered up to the CSX formation and subsequent Mergers.

Our Layout is one of those Time Warp type of Layouts where we hope to be able to run anything from Steam up to modern 2 and short 6 axle unit Diesels and have it look like it is feasible. I am more concerned with the look of the Rolling Stock and structures than the accuracy of the time period we model.

CN1

May 6, 2003
great stuff..... :thumb:

BTW what kind of boxcar could you see in 1968, and again around 1975, and again (but very worn out) in 1980? :confused:

If there's such a thing :eek: . It's for my freelance freight line (branchline) :)

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
I have reserved the BLI D&RGW passenger cars for the California Zephyr. They will come next Christmas and, until then, better I save enough $$$ for pay them! :eek:
(well, I will only indulge the new Atlas D&RGW cabeese, due in July) :rolleyes: :D

chipmonk

Mar 9, 2004
NJ
Visit site
i just switched from the steam era to the present, too make it a little easier to get prototype info, and go broke buying rolling stock and locos all over agian.

next purchase will probably be an athearn SD40-2 in NS paint.

Chris

Totally 80s

I walk a line between 1980 and the present. I don't focus too much on the present day anymore. I'm not actively trying to purge my roster or anything, but I am trying to avoid acquiring more present day stuff. Instead, I like the 80s. Mergers, mergers everywhere! Tracks that are now abandoned used to bustle with activity. In Fort Worth I used to be able to see BN, Frisco, THE ROCK, SP, SSW, UP, MP (even TP and CEI reporting marks), MKT and ATSF in a space of five miles. Today, nothing left but Buy Norfolk Southern First and The Borg...

Lately I've really been giving thought to the two lines that intersect a mile or so south of the house I grew up in. One was a Cotton Belt line, now used for the Tarantula Steam Excursion Train and weekly freight movements by the Fort Worth & Western. The other was the joint MKT/MP line, a favorite because of the excellent visibility up and down the line. Best of all was the crossing of the two where the trains seemed to come as often as you wanted.

So, I can't say all my eggs are in this basket, but it's time to give it a bit more attention. My guess is my next purchase will be an undec. Athearn SD40-2 that will be detailed and painted for Mopac. Maybe even one of the rare "double eagles."

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I was going to say I'm about through buying more stuff. I probably have enough kits to be built as well as kit bashes started that I haven't had time to finish, but there is one more pruchase to make. My local hobby shop had a pair of undecorated Intermountain F7a body kits sitting on the shelf from the time they first came out. After a few birthdays, I asked the guys in the trains dept what the owner would take to get rid of them. I got an email saying I could have them for $35.00 each; I was down there ten minutes later with the cash. Now I have a problem. When I build and decorate them, I will need suitable b units to go with them, so I will probably be in the market for either a pair of Highliner or Intermountain "B" body kits. I have numerous Athearn F-7s to use for chassis to power them.

mykroft

Nov 15, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
CN1: Any boxcar from the 60's should run into the late 80's at a minimum. Boxcars last 30 years or more, with one rebuild. You're probably good to go with 40'ers built in the late 50's and early 60's and any 50' or larger boxcar. I know that some CN 40' Paper cars were rebuilt in the early 80's for grain service, and a few of those are still in service, almost 50 years after they were first built.

I'll likely be buying more 1960's era stock, since I model the early 70's (Although I have stuff that dates back to the late 20's). I'm on the lookout for 50' CN boxcars in Resin or good plastic from that era (No MDC or Athearn, must be a kit) right now, although I'll buy anything CN from the late 20's on except for reefers (My era is just a little too late for ice).

CN1

May 6, 2003
mykroft. Thanks! :thumb: I didn't know boxcars could last that long :eek:

Glen. My LHS has 2 in stock.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
A string of 10-12 Pennsy heavyweight passenger cars is on my aquisition list, other than that, I've got enough cars and kits and remotoring projects to keep me busy for a long time.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
CN1 said:
mykroft. Thanks! :thumb: I didn't know boxcars could last that long :eek:

Glen. My LHS has 2 in stock.

I don't know the original build date for sure, but the mechanical refer that is the prototype for the Athearn model was recently rebuilt by the BNSF. I think they rebuilt over 300 of them. They took out the Trane elctric refer and the Detroit Diesel gen sets and opened up that end of the car between the dreadnought end and the front bulkhead of the box. They cut the hole and installed a Carrier Transicold Ultima 53 refrigeration unit. This was done in 1999 or 2000, I think. The U.P. did the same thing with some of their old mechanical refers. Also the Am Trak AMTK express refers are rebuilt from the same 57' prototype that Temp Trak bought from BNSF and rebuilt.