Next Contest Theme

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Toddlea, Jun 30, 2008.

Themes for next contest

1. Another free model contest.

30 vote(s)
  2. Themed contest (planes or armor or race cars for example).

26 vote(s)
  3. Everyone builds the same model with unlimited creativity.

25 vote(s)
  4. No theme, just a contest.

9 vote(s)
  5. Designers contest.

6 vote(s)
  6. Other.

2 vote(s)
  7. We dont need another contest

9 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

What would you like for the next contest theme?
  2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Science Fictiony type. I think there should be a poll :)
    By the way, great contest for the Free model Toddlea. Oh, yay, a poll.
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Either another free model contest(this one was so much fun!!) or a sci-fi contest. I'd hugely prefer a sci-fi themed contest, because there are so many cool subjects out there that have the "Wow"-factor built in. Such as Claudio's Bumblebee. Talk about a show-stopper!
  4. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

How about a free contest but any modifications are allowed. Let see what a free model can become!
  5. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Whoohoo, great idea tf34
  6. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I like the "Everybody builds same model with no limits" idea... cos everyone has their own ways of adding details etc, and it's by seeing how others do it that I learn a lot of new tricks myself.

However, the themed contest idea is good too, Sci-Fi is already looking like a popular theme, but I'd also be happy to see another one just like the last one.

One thing that needs to be decided on though, is a firm set of rules, clearly outlined from the start, with no changes or adaptations made to said rules for the entire duration of the comp.
  7. David H

David H Member

Same again, Free Models but with a twist, how about scaling up or down by a paper "A" size?

8. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

I agree. I learned a lot with this contest.
  9. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

I like the "Everybody builds same model with no limits" idea.

Not sure if it could get a bit dull with lots of similar threads - only one way to find out though.

Trouble is finding the right model with scope for up-gradeability

10. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

"Everybody builds same model with no limits" is challenge for all modeler, to see how much they can do can add into same model...interesting subject for next contest :)
  11. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Ok, here's an idea... A contest of the same model, but with everyone having to come up with a different paint scheme to repaint the model in. This would challenge the graphics folks, and would provide some variety. Everyone would have to start with the basic Black & White version, post a picture of the aircraft they're going to convert it to, and do it!

12. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

The problem I have with doing the same model is, well, you're doing the same thing as everyone else. Sure, it's yours to detail as you will, but in the end the determining factor will boil down to the guy who put the most detail on. Also, some people can't build curves very well while others can't stand straight lines. Some graphic designers are fantastic while others, like me, are lame. Everyone's tastes and abilities are different, and a singular model would be a little . . . confining for me.

The Free Model contest gives you complete freedom to chose what you want to build, how you want to build it, etc., with no practical restrictions.

I guess I'm just not a "limits" guy. sign1

That, and I'm a sci-fi modeler who rarely builds anything "real." :thumb:
  13. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

How about a variation on that idea along the lines of "Everyone builds one of the following 5 models, etc"

Perhaps there could be a small list of free models to choose from... one from each of the most popular genres or something.
  14. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

I think this a bad ideea. It's boring , and what is going to be this model? An armoured vehicle, maybe I like airplanes , a airplane , maybe I prefer boats...and so on.
  15. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Civil aircraft only, no limits?

16. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Another bad ideea. We have experimented this version on a romanian forum competition and it was a disaster. I have invited personally some modelers to join the contest and they have answered me: "What should I build , I like cars and only cars and that BMW ( the model for the automobile category) looks very bad".
    It's true that the list was made by 2 plastic and RC modelers , ignoring my advices.

17. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

I was thinking more along the lines of any free model of either any type or maybe a certain theme (space, sci-fi, etc) and allow anything to be done. There could maybe be different classes to allow for the varying skill levels such as repaints etc.
  18. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

A free for all, build what you want kind of contest is the best route, I think. I for one, have never built an aircraft, so that would be of particular challenge for me. I am confident i could build one, but don't have much desire to do so. Anyway, I'm in on the next contest regardless.
  19. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Another good idea....

There's been a lot of discussion based on civil aircraft lately and it has already inspired some nice builds and designs.

keep the ideas coming people, the more discussion there is on this subject the better the next competition will be... :thumb:
  20. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

I vote for a Sci-Fi contest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.