newest scratchbuild in progress

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
...And The Thumbs Went Up...

thumbs.gif
Wow! Better and better. Great work, Belg!
thumbs.gif

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Thank you one and all for the nice comments I'll be working on the rest of the structure and dock for awhile and will post more when further along.

Jkristia the tar paper roof was made from brown shopping bags cut into 4' scale strips and glued with a 1' overlap painted grimmy black and weathered with some dry brushing and some chalk. Hope it was detailed enough?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by belg

Jkristia the tar paper roof was made from brown shopping bags cut into 4' scale strips and glued with a 1' overlap painted grimmy black and weathered with some dry brushing and some chalk. Hope it was detailed enough?

Fantastic, babe! Even cheaper than the already cheap use of construction paper and it looks even better. I've seen beautiful, published models in mags and they have contruction paper for the tar paper and it looks like a great model with construction paper on the roof. I will certainly use this technique!

Practice: Paper or plastic?

PAPER! (supporst a logger too) :D :D :D

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
belg, another question for your tar paper roof.
I cut some paper strips from regular printer paper and the glued it to cereal cardboard using white glue, assuming it would end up looking like your roof, but no, the cardboard just warped, so I ended up trashing it.
Next time I go the market I will get an Elmer's stick glue and ask for paper bag and then see if that works. What did you use for the roof and what kind of glue did you use ?

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
The "underlayment" for the roof is Matte board like they use for framing pictures.I go to my local guy and and get some of the scraps he usually throws out. And I use just regular white glue thinned slightly with water and use it sparingly. I usually wet the brown paper a little as well. If your roof can be tarpapered flat put some weight on it til it dries.

Since the subject is tar paper...

Here's a photo of a "tar paper" roof on a structure that I'm currently scratchbuilding for a freight house diorama. Because it's an old structure, I wanted the roofing to appear heavily weathered and deteriorated.

Jon mentioned "cheap construction paper," which I frequently use for tar paper. But this is even cheaper! It's made from a half sheet of newspaper that I sprayed with Floquil Roof Brown and then weathered with raw umber chalks. (I also have made tar paper from a newspaper sheet sprayed with Floquil Grimy Black.)

A half sheet will give you enough material to roof a bunch of buildings! And if you use one of the "freebie" local newspapers that gets tossed in your driveway once a week like I do, well, it can't get any cheaper than that! Your only expense is a small amount of spray paint. Just spray both sides and let it dry for a day or so, cut it up and attach it with an Elmer's Glue stick.

Attachments

• ofhonplatform15ws.jpg
    ofhonplatform15ws.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 103

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Casey I got to say your photos are making my post look better and better. So if you paint both side and use the glue stick
instead of elmers glue should also improve the warping factor.

Thanks, guys.

Originally posted by belg
So if you paint both side and use the glue stick
instead of elmers glue should also improve the warping factor.

You are correct, Pat. Another contributing factor to the "warping" is applying the glue only to the top edge of the strip instead of the whole strip. You can see the difference in these two photos. In the first, I applied the glue stick only to the top edge.

Attachments

• ofhonplatform16ws.jpg
    ofhonplatform16ws.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 101