newest scratchbuild in progress

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by belg, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A very nice structure Belg.
  2. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

...And The Thumbs Went Up...

[​IMG] Wow! Better and better. Great work, Belg! [​IMG]
  3. mhdishere

mhdishere Member

Looking REAL good Belg!
  4. Very nice, Pat. The foundation looks natural and real. Glad the info was of use to you. :)
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Great stuff. Can't find anything there that I wouldn't want to be able to do.

7. jkristia

jkristia Member

That is a very very nice building, is that really N scale?, hard to believe. I really like the look of the tar paper roof, would you mind share how you did it?

Great building.
  8. belg

belg Member

Thank you one and all for the nice comments I'll be working on the rest of the structure and dock for awhile and will post more when further along.

Jkristia the tar paper roof was made from brown shopping bags cut into 4' scale strips and glued with a 1' overlap painted grimmy black and weathered with some dry brushing and some chalk. Hope it was detailed enough?
  9. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Pat the foundation is awesome, great work! :D
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Fantastic, babe! Even cheaper than the already cheap use of construction paper and it looks even better. I've seen beautiful, published models in mags and they have contruction paper for the tar paper and it looks like a great model with construction paper on the roof. I will certainly use this technique!

Practice: Paper or plastic?

PAPER! (supporst a logger too) :D :D :D
  11. jkristia

jkristia Member

belg, another question for your tar paper roof.
    I cut some paper strips from regular printer paper and the glued it to cereal cardboard using white glue, assuming it would end up looking like your roof, but no, the cardboard just warped, so I ended up trashing it.
    Next time I go the market I will get an Elmer's stick glue and ask for paper bag and then see if that works. What did you use for the roof and what kind of glue did you use ?
  12. belg

belg Member

The "underlayment" for the roof is Matte board like they use for framing pictures.I go to my local guy and and get some of the scraps he usually throws out. And I use just regular white glue thinned slightly with water and use it sparingly. I usually wet the brown paper a little as well. If your roof can be tarpapered flat put some weight on it til it dries.
  13. jawatkins

jawatkins Member

Love the work you did on that. Looks awesome!!
  14. Since the subject is tar paper...

Here's a photo of a "tar paper" roof on a structure that I'm currently scratchbuilding for a freight house diorama. Because it's an old structure, I wanted the roofing to appear heavily weathered and deteriorated.

Jon mentioned "cheap construction paper," which I frequently use for tar paper. But this is even cheaper! It's made from a half sheet of newspaper that I sprayed with Floquil Roof Brown and then weathered with raw umber chalks. (I also have made tar paper from a newspaper sheet sprayed with Floquil Grimy Black.)

A half sheet will give you enough material to roof a bunch of buildings! And if you use one of the "freebie" local newspapers that gets tossed in your driveway once a week like I do, well, it can't get any cheaper than that! Your only expense is a small amount of spray paint. Just spray both sides and let it dry for a day or so, cut it up and attach it with an Elmer's Glue stick.

Attached Files:

15. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

WOW! Looks great Casey
  16. belg

belg Member

Casey I got to say your photos are making my post look better and better. So if you paint both side and use the glue stick
    instead of elmers glue should also improve the warping factor.
  17. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Now that's a roof ready to leak! Luv it!
  18. jkristia

jkristia Member

Looks sooooo great. I have to try that.
    Thanks for sharing
  19. Thanks, guys.

You are correct, Pat. Another contributing factor to the "warping" is applying the glue only to the top edge of the strip instead of the whole strip. You can see the difference in these two photos. In the first, I applied the glue stick only to the top edge.

Attached Files:

20. In this second photo, with the structure on the left, I applied it to each entire strip on the roof, so they are lying quite a bit flatter.

Attached Files: