NewEngland fishing harbor

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by 160Pennsy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. 160Pennsy

160Pennsy New Member

Spent the better part of this past weekend making this N-scale harbor diorama. It's only in the "mock-up" stages at the moment as things may still get moved around. The fishing boats are all under construction (scratchbuilt) except for the one Model Tech Studio's Stern Dragger kit. The smaller boats are either Graham Avis Details or scratchbuilt. Lighthouse is a lasercut kit from Canadian manufacturer - SMD Products. The large dock & wooden trestle are built out of bamboo screwers & scale stripwood & scribed siding. Grey dockside structure is also scatchbuilt from scribed siding w/ Grant Line windows / doors and brown shingles cut from grocery bags. The track is Atlas code 55 , roadbed cork - but they aren't glued down into their final spots yet.

I have still have a few more smaller shacks, dozens of details parts (rowboats, lobster traps, fishing nets, fisherman, barrels, boxes, stairwells, railings, water level docks) and all that clutter that still needs to be worked into the diorama. I'm still tossing around names for this little harbor. I was trying to get the look and feel of a typical Northeastern waterfront / fishing village..any comments or suggesstions..??

Valley N-TRAK, CT
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

:thumb: It looks SUPER!.
    You got me thinking now, yours looks so good :D

O K a name eh hhhhmmmmm.
    Trestle bridge bay?
    Shady cove?
    Smith`s Landing?
  3. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

I like your work.

TrainClown ;)
  4. siderod

siderod Member

A dock is somethign i have been toying with too...been thinking of an area i could put one, and i think i have an idea...biggest problem is, i'd like to have track on it, but i'm not sure if i can get that AND have it where i want it. Ohhh well...i'll see.

Really nice pics! The SMD lighthouse is made by a friend of mine, they are really nice.
  5. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

That's all we need here is another smart aleck. The better part of a weekend, indeed. Were it me, it'd be better than a week just doing the trestle.

Seriously, it looks great. Keep up the good work.

6. hswn

hswn Member

When are you going to put the lobsters on to cook? Looks great. I asume your doing it as low tide with mussels on the trestle and warf. It will be great when finished. Will you have a sideing for a express refer to load up with lobsters and be put on the head end of the through passanger train? to rush off to market.
    Side Rod {Andrew} keep in mind if you deside to do a warf you don't have to do it for a 30' tide like you have the bay, over on my side of the province we only have 6'.
  7. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Even as a mock up that scene looks superb! Beautiful trestle work!
  8. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Your harbour looks just like some I have seen down east in Nova Scotia. Nice modeling Paul
  9. 160Pennsy

160Pennsy New Member

I wasn't sure about posting the diorama pics until I had more detailing done. Since I really liked how the scene was coming together I felt brave enough to post on some of the various forums. Thank you all for the words of encouragement! Boat owners usually name their boats after the women in their lives so I might take their lead and go with "Robin's Cove".

Sorry if I mislead anyone in my inital post, the wharf/dock, grey structure, boats & lighthouse were already under construction on my workbench, prior to this weekend, but I didn't have anyway to pull all these waterfront items together, so I got busy and cut the base, landforms & trackwork and built the trestle. I'm not working from any photos yet, just putting items where I think they'll look & work the best.

The water has yet to be poured (was planning on something like Envirotex) and I plan on several pours to get the water level about 3/8" to 1/2" higher over the diorama base. I do plan on modelling barnacles & mussels on the pillings, using fine sawdust glued onto the bamboo screwer. I might have to restrict upriver access to only smaller watercrafts such as row boats or skiff's, since they can't get up the estuary with the horizontal trestle braces in the way.

The Atlas #5 code 55 turnout is there to give those express reefers access to the yet-to-be built dock on the backside of the white mock-up building...lobsters & other local catch-of-the-day will be waiting in their crates packed in ice. The Gold Medal Models safety railing on the trestle will continue around the throwbar, to make sure the train crews don't plunge into water below
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I named boats after my grandkids. Now when they come to visit they want to know what their boat is doing.
  11. Pinecanyon

Pinecanyon New Member

Nice work Paul,

I have been working on a warf scene also, in HO scale. Takes a ton of time, but worth it.
    Keep up the great work,
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

I bet I can spend almost six months to get that much done. :thumb:

Looks great Paul. I really like the wharf and piles. I'm currently doing something similar over a (in the distant future) lake. Looking forward to more pictures.
  13. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Seems like, some years back, I recall readin', I believe it was in "National Fisherman", Capt. Perc Sane's "Stories from Saturday Cove." Don't 'spect the good Cap'n'd be too upset if you called it Saturday Cove.

One of the things I remember was how to make gage nog.
    1. To one case of Jamaican Rum, add the white of one small pullet egg.
    2. Stir briefly.
    3. Strain out the leftover egg white, and serve.
    Sounded like some really good egg nog to me!
  14. palain

palain New Member

For those who are wondering, the old SMD products web page is no longer available.

I have available all of SMD products in my online store.
  15. palain

palain New Member

Is there any new progress on your harbor?
  16. Pinecanyon

Pinecanyon New Member

17. 160Pennsy

160Pennsy New Member

I've been traveling around the US for work, over the past 2 months so progress on the New England harbor diorama has ground to a halt. I hope that the travel will slow down now that Spring is here and maybe I'll get some modelling time available. That white mock-up building needs to be built along with some of the lower docks. The SMD lighthouse is nearing completion and the foam base it sits on needs lots of boulders and details added. All the fishing boats need alot of detail work to make them more presentable. My to-do list keeps getting longer & longer.

Some members of the N-TRAK club I belong to have suggested I incorporate the diorama into a N-TRAK or T-TRAK module..but that might cause changes in my choice of track (Atlas code 55).