NEWBY Questions

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cubberus2, Mar 24, 2007.

1. cubberus2

cubberus2 New Member

Hi,all, This aircraft card modeling looks like alot of fun and some great models at prices far below diecast and plastic miniatures.Anyway.I'd appreciate some advice on how to get started such as some good models for beginers(WW1 aircraft)and basic tools,etc.I fly a 7/8 Nieuport 17 and am interested in WW1 aircraft,particularly Nieuports(natch).Thanks in advance, Dave
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Welcome and glad you found us!

Go to they have a selection of WWI aircraft that are easy to assemble and look pretty nice when completed. This is a good way to get the feel of working with paper, and mastering the techniques involved.

Look around the site here there are lots of threads on WWI aircraft!

3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Glad to have you here, sure you will find a lot of stuff here and a ton of links, have fun. Best to you.
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

My suggestion would be to search out free models first. That way, practicing only costs you ink and card stock. But, if you sign up at Fiddler's Green, you get a few free models to play with.

I know I would have been much more discouraged had I spent money on a model, only to not understand how to put it together. I feel much better admitting defeat, or starting over, with a free model and then moving on to the next one.

That sounds really negative, don't it? Don't let it fool you, I've had a ton of fun figuring out exactly which 4 letter word or colorful metaphor was required to get a part to work
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Welcome Dave!

You said you "fly" a Nieuport - you mean a real aircraft flying in real air? Cool! What is 7/8, is that a scale?

Anyway, the advice so far is good. There are tons of links on the internet to free stuff to do first, which is a good idea. For WWI you might not find quite as much as WWII and later, but there's enough to keep you busy until you are ready to move up a notch and though I've not built WWI (yet), there seems to be a lot out there in the commercial world.

6. cubberus2

cubberus2 New Member

Hi, Rick The Nieuport is called a 7/8 which means it is nearly as big as a 'real' Nieuport.I think the original would be about 2 1/2' longer and about 3' more wingspan so it is pretty close.There are several 7/8 Nieuports flying,most with VW engines(like mine).Much,much fun for not alot of $$$(it is so small that I can fit it in a hanger with a friends' plane).Lots os replica WW1 airplanes in my area of IL.Anway,thanks everyone for the ideas.I am very impressed with what I see out there in cardmodel aircraft.I had no idea.Guys are paying wild prices for built scale model WW1 aircraft on Ebay these days. Dave
  7. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I would have to agree with going to fiddler's green. Pick up thier W.W.I cd and you will have lots of models to practice on. Another advantage to having the models on cd is you can reprint parts that get messed up, and you can build the model over again for practice. Some of the models have different colors too, so you get lots of bang for your buck.