newby N-scale track on 841mm x 1189 (33"x47")

takev

Hi there,

I'm a newby, I have done some finescale modelling the last years and wanted to do real diaramas.

When I was very young I had a fleischmann starters kit, which always failed, I think my mother took it back to the store three times. I hope I have better luck this time, altough I don't buy the starters kit this time.

Now, my house is really small, as I live in Amsterdam, so I have to build something that doesn't use up much space. So I deviced a module setup of ISO-A1 paper size, which
you can stack for storage.

I've made a design
using two of these modules and which can
be extended with further modules on the right
joining the two main line tracks. The line in the
middle is where the two modules meet. I've been carfull not to put any turnouts on this line.

The maximum grade is 3.1% which is made before the "town" station. The sharp bent before the "iron ore mine" station is on a grade of 2.5% and has a radius of 19cm (7.4"). These two stations will be met only with short cars.

The "steel mill" station will be used by train with long 60' cars. The smallest radius it will meet is 28cm (11").

I guess I will start by making the loop.
Then add the stations in the middle, and finaly the big station on the bottom, which will need to be fed by the other modules on the right.

As you see, I am going to make a large flowing industry, iron ore -> steel -> factory -> distribution center -> cities, etc. Altough that will take a long time (luckely), room and money.

So what do you thing? Did I get the grades and radius right? Is it too cluttered? Any sugestions?

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    44.1 KB · Views: 380
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    44.1 KB · Views: 381

jon-monon

Welcome to the-gauge! One of the neat things about the-gauge is we make friends all over the world!

I like the plan. You are packing a lot of action into a small space. It offers continouse running (a loop) and point to point operations are possible. Weather it is too cluttered or two tracky, IMHO depends on your usage and personnal preferance. Are you more into modeling, scenerey and appearnce, or more into operations? I like the modeling aspect, so it might be a little tracky for my tastes. Then again, I am a little spoiled with a large area to work with, so if I were more restricted on layout size, I might rethink it. I say go with what you feel is best. When you start laying it out, buildings and track tend to grow and the real estate shrinks, so you do want to leave yourself some extra room.

You could run a short length of Z scale track into the mine and make some push carts or a dummy mine loco and a couple of small ore cars :D :D :D

Love to see it as it progresses!

jkristia

Welcome to The Gauge.

It's an interesting plan with a lot of track packed into a small space. I do see one problem in the plan, and that is in the lower right corner. You won't be able to get any cars out of the 2 lower tracks, even if the crossover is a double switch, the right side track of the switch will only hold the locomotive without cars. Maybe you could somehow change the red track coming out of the tunnel to a turnout and then connect the track to there.

Enjoy.

Xaniel

Hello, and welcome to the gauge!!! You'll find a lot of good advices and friends here.

About your track plan, really cool. I havce the same problem. I live in Portugal and space is a problem, So I have a 2' by 4' layout. I think you could do something about that plan in the bottom, unless you are thinkng about future expansion. If not, you'll have difficulties putting some cars in those tracks.

That's my opinion.

takev

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the advice.

The Z-gauge for the mine is inspired, I was
just thinking about a lift shaft in the ground.

And indeed, the bottom two tracks are impossible to get to, so they are layed last, when I start with a new module (i.e. future expansion) I am thinking of extending the "town" station then too.

I just orderd the wood for the frame I guess I will post pictures of the progress I'll make in this thread, or should I post that in an new thread in the N/Z forum.

takev

Hi,

I changed the design a bit, making it
a bit more interesting.

I made a bit of extra room for the scenery.
I removed a track from the city station
and made the bottom two tracks accessable

The high track isn't accessable until I get
new modules.

Most of the track is now on the same level, except for the track running to the iron ore mine and the town. You also see I made the outline of the hill in two levels, possibly these levels are carved out by the mining operation, this will give it more history.

jon-monon, I added a small Nn3 track
next to the iron ore mine station.

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 322
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 321
Looks nice

A couple possible problems in the new plan

If you're using sectional track, that long S-curve could cause derailments, You need to include a straight as long as your longest car before reversing direction (generally a 4 or 5" straight is adequate). Even with Flex Track the abrupt change can be tricky.

I would also just remove the turnout on the lowermost right. In its current position, you can't use it for ANYTHING anyway, except maybe a miniscule Loco (like a hand truck) so you might as well save the money and just add it when you expand the railroad.

Also, SERIOUSLY consider adding Re-Railers. They are almost a necessity in N scale. I'd put them in the 'city' yard tracks, and possibly one in the town and another on the 'back stretch' of the main oval

takev

Hello screwysquirrel,

Ah, the S-curve, yes, I will and a piece
of straight say 10cm or so in there, ofcource, xtrkcat (the program I use) doesn't allow me more then 50 tracks, as I haven't bought it yet.

I will only buy the track as I go, I'll start with the oval.

re-railers, haven't heard of it yet, I guess if a train is partly derailed, it will put it back on the track?

"What's a Rerailer"?

A rerailer is a unit of track designed to help place cars and locos on the track successfully. You roll a car back and forth across it and the grooves of the rerailer force the car on the track

Here's a picture of the Atlas N-scale Rerailer:

2532.gif

takev

Ah, I see

it looks like a crossing, I need crossings anyway so the passengers can cross the station, etc.

I only need to point them in concrete grey.

takev

Ok, I went back to the drawing board,
I added a streight piece in the large S-bend, although now the grade is 4%, as the total length is shorter.

I changed the station so all the tracks are accessable, even without extra modules.

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    41.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    41.9 KB · Views: 287

jkristia

I like it. The only thing I think I would change is the double slip switch. I would put a turnout there instead and then extend the bottom track to the right for a small engine facility. Of course I know that that would mean replacing it back to the switch once you are ready for the extension. Oh well, just my thoughts.

takev

Hi again,

I slightly changed the layout again.

I went a shop today and they could get peco code 55 track, which I liked, but the turnouts are much larger then on other tracks.

So the new layout doesn't look anything like before.

Anyway the new layout has got a interesting interlocking loop and three station.

one of which one has 4 tracks (only three accessable by passengers), it is a city station and has output to the right of to an other module. On the south east of the station there can be made some city scenery. The top track of the station is used by the small passager train going up the mountain.

North east has a iron ore mine station with a single track. This station is used by both the mine as for passengers (mine town). It is
based on the top of a mountain. To the left of it is the mine and below that are some small houses.

The station in the center is for the steel mill, it accepts passengers, iron ore and steel trains.
The iron ore has to reverse to get into this station. The steel has to be reversed on the spare track in the city station before handing of to an other module.

The crack in the mountain where a rail runs through is made by a now small river.

Biggest grade is 2.4% on any track. The steel has to go to a bend with a radius of 8.2".

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    44 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    44 KB · Views: 82

jkristia

I'm sorry, but I don't really like that one either. I lake the last one on page 1 best. That one gives you continues running while having a train at the station, and then you send that train off on a continues run while the first trains stops at the station.

takev

Ok, I'll try the older design, but with the new turnouts, but I think that might be problematic.
The turnouts are about 1.5 times the old size.