Newbie With Marx Locomotive Trouble

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by bfelten, Nov 28, 2004.

1. bfelten

bfelten New Member

Hello. I have 2 Marx 666 steam locomotives. One of them when placed on the track will not run, but the headlight does come on. The other does not want to come out of reverse. I have had them cleaned and lubricated every year for the past 4 years, however, the person that has done this for me I am unable to get a hold of now. I guess what I'm really asking is what I can use to clean and lube them? And by the way, after they have been cleaned, they run like new ones. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated...Thanks...
  2. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

3. kchronister

kchronister Member

Also don't know Marx well, but with my pre-war lionel and flyer motors, your best bet is to soak the entire motor in paint thinner for an hour or so. Then allow to dry overnight, then lubricate (a drop of light oil on the motor bearings, and light grease on the gears). Make sure you lube as the thinner will remove ALL lube...

This method really clears out all the crud and has actually NEVER failed me even on motors that haven't run in 40 years. It should definitely work fine if your motors were running recently. HOWEVER I don't know what vintage the locos you mention are. If they are newer and have any plastic bits, then you don't want to do this.
  4. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

If you've had them cleaned every year for the past four years , I wouldn't expect them to be that dirty.
    Sounds to me that the contacts in your reverse mechanisms are needing cleaned though.
    Maintenance on the reversing units requires pulling the wheels off the axles to open the chassis to get the unit out.
    Without the right puller the wheels can be broken easily. That's one reason why it's hard to find someone to work on Marx locos.
    I've gotten them out without pulling the wheels but wouldn't recommend it.
    The Marx locomotives that I rebuilt the reverse units on have run every year for the last 10 years with nothing more than a drop of oil on the motor shafts once every couple of years.

The one you have that won't come out of reverse. Check to see if the reversing solenoid tries to move.If it doesn't it may be burnt out. If it tries to move it may need a shot of contact cleaner and some light oil.