Newbie with layout question involving small space (18")

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by madmax71, Aug 12, 2004.

1. madmax71

madmax71 New Member

Hello and thanks for any help. At christmas time I have an elevated area in my home that I wanted to put and HO scale Xmas train on. The problem is the architecture. It has at one end a square about 4' by 4'.., easy for a circle with a tree in the middle.., However it has a 20' "L" shaped ridge coming off of it around to our front door. What I would like to do is create a path around an oval onto a straight track around the L and back to the Oval. Unfortunately the "L" is only about 18" wide, I can't turn the train around at the opposite end of the "L". Are there model train types that travel forward one way on a straight track, reach the end, automatically switch to reverse and go backwards along the same track until they reach the end again and then switch to forward?? I know I would probably have to invest in a different type of train but it would be an excellent addition to my G Scale that travels around the downstairs area of our house during Xmas.
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Hi, There are reversing units that you can hook up to one track to have the engine go to the end of the track & reverse. There are also reversing units for reversing a loop if you make a circle of track with a single switch leading out over the 20' section. :) It's cheaper to start the track around the tree. Then continue it out onto the 20' section - no loop - just one single track. :)

Attached Files:

3. madmax71

madmax71 New Member

I assumed there were some types of Bumpers, are those for HO scale or can you find them for any scale? I have a good train shop about an hour and half away from where I live that I want to make sure I know what I want before I drive all the way out there this or before I Call them! Thanks!
  4. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Yeah - bumpers are on any scale :) they are pretty cheap, The reversing circuit should be less that $40.00
  5. Catt

Catt Guest

If my feeble old memory serves me right today I think Bachmann has an 0n30 trolley set that comes with the reverser(SP).Don't remember the cost but maybe some one else here will. :)
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Your hobby shop should be able to get you an electronic reverser.
    You could probably make one using a relay and two micro switches mounted about coupler height.
    For a prototype, consider the push-pull commuter trains e.g. Athearn's Bombardier bi-levels.