Newbie...want to build track for border around ceiling of room..

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Candlepinman, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Candlepinman

Candlepinman New Member

I have a sports bar room in my house and I would like to build a train that goes around the room near the ceiling...

Is there anywhere I can get tips on how to build this...whether it is hanging from the ceiling or if it is mounted to the wall....

Any suggestions would be helpful...

2. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Frist, build it in one of the larger scales (O or G). HO will disappear when placed up high on the wall.
    There are systems out there that are specifically designed for this appilcation. You can find ads for these in the Garden Railway magazine.

3. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

Question - do you really need to "hide" the layout along the ceiling? Seems to me the enjoyment of interacting and observing the operation which you are proposing would be hidden if you ran it along the ceiling.

Is there any way that you can do a shelf-layout or at least get it down to a level that you and others would enjoy looking at close up?

4. Candlepinman

Candlepinman New Member

Thanks for the reply...

Yes what I was hoping to do was build a shelf like track...I guess when I meant ceiling, I mean just above where the windows I guess it would be about 1-2 feel below the ceiling..

I am in the process of ordering some old NFL train cars, which is what I want to use for the upcoming football it goes around the room..

Thanks again
  5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

6. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Wecome Aboard Candlepinman :D First Choose a gauge & determine how much money you will want to spend on this :D

Second.. If you want a "Shelf" You can use HO or larger, mine is not lost from site :)

Third... Will you want any scenery, I used foam & painted it for mountains.. :) I just nailed them to teh front of the shelf :)

Fourth.. The "Sizes" HO...1X3 wood......... O....1X4............G... 1 X 6

Now - for the sidings (Or double track) you will have to double the width HO.. 1X6 etc.....

For the curves (Corners) you will have to use 3/4 plywood, only because you will have to make single piece wood curves to lay the track on....

.......................First & foremost!!!!! Determine the LOWEST you can hang this from the ceiling.. I just picked a height & Since it's "only" 4" below the celing - it's a royal pain putting cars on teh tracks :( 1 or 2 feet below - is great!!!!!

.......................Second Decide if you will ever want to change trains, I run the freight in that link above, but sometimes - I put the Acela up there :)

....................... Third, If you want - decide on 1 or 2 tracks, or 1 track with siding or 1 track alone... Wherever you decide to put the siding - the "shelf" will have to be double width. If the entire loop will be double track - you will need twice the amount of wood.

........................Fourth.. How are you gonna hang this thing??? :D :D :D I used Shelf Brackets (along the wall sections) and "Toggle Bolts" with Drop ceiling wire for the area not near a wall for HO. For G - None was near a wall) I used those "T"s that you hang bicycles from the ceiling in your garage :) :) 6 of them hold a 8 ft X 4 ft G train on my basement ceiling. :)

Here is the G

The Conoco train at the top & The U-25B is the ceiling train :)

PM or E-mail me if you need any help! :) :)