Newbie to rolling stock scratchbuilding

slarti

Oct 20, 2004
Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked many times before, I have looked and failed to spot it. Anyway, I have an N Gauge model railway layout, for which I've built various scenery, and am interested in the idea of scratch building rolling stock, after having seen the interesting things people on here have managed to achieve, and was wondering what materials people suggest for starting out, and what equipment people think would be necessary and useful - obviously I don't want to start on something that proves unviable!

P

philip

Hello & welcome Slarti,

Here is a start. Most people buy it off the shelf but if you can't locate what ya need, you bash it together with Plastic, wood,cereal box (Robin) and paper. N-scale is tough to scratchbuild because of the size. Especially if you make something with a bunch of windows. A gondola, flat or boxcar should be quite simple to scratchbuild. Click on the thread below (also a caboose that is a great project).

A bunch of fine people scratchbuilding here and great selection of tutorials on this forum.

Happy modeling! :wave:
philip

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=8798&highlight=osgood