Newbie-Securing/Installing Track ?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by etraindude, Feb 27, 2007.

1. etraindude

etraindude New Member

Hello all and I hope 2007 is going well for all of you!

This is my first post and question on this forum...have mercy on my lack of knowledge :)

I am a beginner and setting up an N gauge setup. I did some Model railraoding when I was young but....
    I forgot how I need to secure the track and I have done MANY searches without an answer to my specific questions.

I have a base setup and it is covered with woodland scenics grass. I have the layout of the track setup on it the way I would like but have not secured to anything. Basically temporarily put together to test the layout but not attached to anything,just lying their!

What steps do I take to secure the track? Do I take up the temp layout and the lay the roadbed? I have the woodland scenics trackbed.

How will I make the curves with the straight trackbed? What is the best way to seccure the track to the roadbed?

I basically am looking for some step by step to explain how, and in what steps do I lay the trackbed and secure the track.

And also, I hope that as I learn I can contribute to the group!

2. rr9731's girl

rr9731's girl New Member

What in the world is woodland scenic trackbed?
  3. rr9731's girl

rr9731's girl New Member

if you have a picture i'd like to see what it looks like.
  4. mcbane666

mcbane666 Member

Right from the horses mouth :D
  5. mummert

mummert Member

It is foam roadbed.
  6. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I've had the same dillema when i started back in decemeber:).

What i've learned from reading and asking similar questions is glue .. lots of it ;).
    This link is basically where i got most of my direction, specifically this part about laying the track:

I've also read that a mix of water and white glue works well, but there have been a few posts on the forum about caulk and that may work a little better becuase you can pick it up, remove the caulk and reuse the track.

I've personally opted to use nails as i'm new to the hobby and i don't want to laydown something to find out that i did it wrong and have to go buy new stuff :). Ironically that is precisely what happened and i'm glad i used nails, i put 18" curves on my layout, 6 axle trains don't like 18" turns much :) so i have to replace them w/ 22" turns. i'm fiddleing around w/ the atlas layout program now to see how i can do it w/ the least amount of deconstruction.