newbie questions

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Azoreanpapermodeler, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Azoreanpapermodeler

Azoreanpapermodeler New Member

Hi. Im new to the site. I think its the best site on modelling that i have discovered so far.

Anyway i would like to someone to respond to some questions that i have:

1: some models on the download section dont have instrutions :cry:. Is it suppose to be that way and why?

2: What is the best paper to print those models?

3: sounds silly , but can pepakura models print in A3 size?:confused:
  2. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Azoreanpapermodeler, welcome to Zealot! I think the best paper model forum on the web. I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1 Some models don't have instructions probably because they are as time consuming to design as the models themselves. I'm learning that the hard way, I'm designing a model (my first) and am dreading the instructions. Don't be afraid to download a model without instructions, if you have a question post it here on the forum. Nine times out of ten, someone here has either already answered it or has the answer in their head! And if they don't, be patient, a discussion will ensue over the course of a day or two, and usually an answer can be found through that process.

2 As far as paper goes, that's a good question. What measuring unit is most common where you live? Kilos or pounds? As far as metric goes there are far more knowledgeable people here on the forum who will answer your question there. If it's pounds I normally use 65lb cardstock. You can use 110lb but it is a little tougher to get a fold on small parts. But your models will stand up to handling a little better with the heavier paper.

3 Yes Pep2 and Pep3 can print in A3 size, at least Pep Designer 2/3 can. I don't know if Pep Viewer 2/3 can though.

Hopefully I have answered some of your questions. You have joined a forum with a wealth of talented people, who are happy to help you if you find you need a question answered!
  3. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

By the way there are no silly questions, jut silly people who are afraid to ask!:mrgreen: I'm living proof!:twisted:
  4. wccrawford

wccrawford Novice Papercrafter

1) Yeah, the designer didn't create instructions for one reason or another. It's quite possible the desinged the model to be so easy it doesn't -need- instructions. I'd say about half the models I've done have had no instructions.

2) I use 110lb because it's so strong. It allows people to pick up my models with me cringing. It also lets me build bigger models as well.

3) While Pepakura should be able to handle any paper size, if you don't have rights to modify the model, you can't change anything, even the paper size. This is my biggest problem with Pepakura. Of course, PDFs have the same problem, except that you can scale them when you print. Since A3/A4 scale perfectly, you might consider printing from a PDF instead of Pepakura.
  5. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum. Warning!!!!!! Paper modeling is addictive. In some cases search the forum, most of the time someone has built that particular model and even has done a build process. In those builds, you will learn certain techniques that others have used.

I normally use the heavier gauge, 110m 120 lbs. But in some models you may have to use a mixed gauge. Sturdier for wide areas and thinner for small area/pieces. Just do it and experience will settle you down with the right weight for your projects.

With the basic Pepakura, you are stuck with the size. But an alternative is that when you print it out, scan it to jpeg. Then you have a print that you can manipulate,and even re-color, re-do, modify. Have fun.

Strength and Honor
  6. Azoreanpapermodeler

7. davitch

davitch Member

you might also try searching the forums here for a build thread, sometimes people love to show off what they are doing and show really good steps and also the bad
  8. silveroxide

Do you have any particular model in mind? If so, then put a query on the forum and ask for any one who has done a build of this project and see how helpful the community is.

If one of your projects is the Star Destroyer, there are various builds out there. Flarebaffle did one a while back and it was a very detailed build.
  9. cmags

cmags Guest

For Pepakura models w/o instructions, I use the PDO as the instructions. You can switch between exploded and unexploded views, click on a certain part on the page to see where it goes on the 3d model, and mouse over the edges of the part to see where it connects to. You can also see red and blue lines on the 3d model to see whether to use mountain or valley fold at that junction. With practice and patience, you'll get pretty good at it, but you may want to get used to the hobby with a few easier models or those with instructions.
  10. Azoreanpapermodeler

More questions

In terms of metrics can anyone tell me what is the best paper. People here talk about pounds. But I understand nothing of it (50 kilo paper?)

also can anyone tell me what is cardstock in portuguese ???? i cant find it in any dictionary or internet search (cartolina maybe?)
  11. wccrawford

wccrawford Novice Papercrafter

Cardstock is thick paper. The 'pounds' (or # or weight) is how thick (aka heavy) it is. Normal paper is 24#. Cardstock is 65#. Heavy Cardstock is 110#. You may also see it as g/m2 instead. That's just a different way to measure it. 110# cardstock is about 200 g/m2 I believe.
  12. silveroxide

Cartão armazenamento é um forte papel comummente utilizado para negócio cartões. 100 libras é sobre 50 quilogramas aproximado papel peso. E não Eu faço não falar Portugal , eu apenas ter um bom tradutor.
  13. xadow

xadow Member

Olá Azoreanpapermodeler, presumo que sejas dos Açores.
    Saudações da Madeira :mrgreen:

Em relação ao cardstock, cá em Portugal, o que precisas de encontrar é papel de uma determinada gramagem. Por exemplo o papel de fotocópia é papel de 80gsm (gramas por metro quadrado), pessoalmente uso papel de 120 gsm, (para modelos pequenos, pois é muito fino) e papel de 160gsm até 180 gsm para todos os outros modelos.
    Podes encontrar este tipo de papel em qualquer papelaria, e por vezes em grandes superficies, como o Modelo/Continente, e até mesmo em lojas como a Vobis.

Hi Azoreanpapermodeler, i assume you are from the Azores.
    Greetings from Madeira :mrgreen:

About cardstock, here in Portugal, what you need to find is paper with a certain weight. For instance the paper used in photocopy's is 80gsm (grams per square meter),personally i usually use 120 gsm paper, (for small models, as this paper is thin) and 160 gsm to 180 gsm paper for all the other models.
    You can find this type of paper in a stationery store (not sure if this word is correct, as i don't know the exact translation) and sometimes in big stores such as Modelo/Continente, and even in Vobis (a consumer electronics store).
  14. blaar

blaar Member

Since I don't built too tiny or too detailed models I use 200gsm paper (cardstock). For smaller parts I use 160gsm or even 80gsm if it is really small. I built a couple of models on 240gsm and it was tough like hell :) The models really had some weight to it and I really liked it. Only prob is , it is way more expensive and not many printers can print on that heavy paper.

I recently switched to 220gsm and I really like it. But 200gsm should be great too. It just all depends on the size of the model you are going to build.
  15. Azoreanpapermodeler

olá xadow. É bom ter um português aqui no zealot. Facilita imenso perceber as coisas, principalmente quando se é um novato.

Gostaria de fazer umas perguntas.

1: modelos do tamanho de uma ou algumas folhas A4 são modelos pequenos? presumo que tudo o que seja A3 seja para 180g? podes dar pelo menos uma ideia sobre isso?

2: qual a cola que se deve usar?
  16. xadow

xadow Member

1: Modelos de apenas uma folha, em principio vão ser modelos relativamente pequenos. Geralmente os modelos em A3 são modelos grandes, mas isso depende do modelo que pretendes realizar. É claro que quanto maior for o modelo também a gramagem do papel deverá ser maior, de modo a tornar o modelo mas rígido e estável

2: Eu geralmente uso cola branca para a maioria dos meus modelos, mas também uso cola UHU e super cola. A cola branca é ideal para a maioria das colagens pois dá-te tempo suficiente para corrigires alguma falha, a cola UHU geralmente uso quando preciso de criar a estrutura do modelo, em que temos de colar cartão de 1mm ou mais, a super cola uso para peças complicadas e pequenas, em que é necessário torná-las mais rigidas

A melhor maneira de te iniciares neste hobby é experimentares, escolhe um modelo simples que não tenha muitas páginas, e experimenta com diferentes espessuras de papel e diferentes tipos de colas.
    Infelizmente não te posso dar uma resposta definitiva pois cada pessoa tem as suas preferências pessoais e além disso os modelos também podem exigir determinado tipo de papel, é melhor forma é mesmo experimentar.

Já agora por que tipo de modelos te interessas, assim poderíamos aconselhar algum modelo simples para começares.
  17. Azoreanpapermodeler

Interesso-me mais por modelos de naves espaciais. Já fiz alguns modelos, um até um pouco complicado, que (admire-se...) foi um fracasso, lol.

já agora, falaste em usar cartão. Quando é que se usa?
  18. xadow

xadow Member

O cartão é utilizado para fortalecer a estrutura interna do modelo, geralmente é indicado no modelo quando se deve usar cartão, que custuma ser de cerca de 1mm.

Naves espaciais....hmmm....... neste site tens muitas escolhas desde naves reais a fictícias.

P.S. Existe um fórum português que apesar da secção do papel ser relativamente pequena, tem bons conselhos, e um grupo extraordinário de modelistas,