Newbie Question

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by MartyH, Feb 22, 2007.

1. MartyH

MartyH New Member

I have modeled O gauge for over 12 years, and have now switched to N scale. I just purchased a new Atlas Dash 8-40B, and it had a tendency to "squeel". Although the paperwork said it did not require additional oil, I did place a minute amount in the bearings. This stopped the squeeling, but I noticed that the engine is louder in reverse than in forward. Am I hearing things or what? I need some help here. I am used to big O gauge steam locomotives with sound, and now I am dealing with a whole new animal. Thanx in advance,
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think I would contact Atlas with a description of the provblem. I think that they will ask you to send the locomotive back to them and they will either fix it or replace it for you.
  3. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

There's a bit of slop in the drive train. What you might be hearing is one of the flywheels rubbing in the chassis. As the motor turns, it pulls the driveshaft towards one end of the loco or the other, depending on which way you're running. If the flywheels haven't been pressed on tight enough, they can rub as the shaft shifts.

Definitely contact Atlas and see what they have to say.
  4. MartyH

MartyH New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I will contact Atlas today!