Newbie question

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by whitem3, Apr 21, 2005.

1. whitem3

whitem3 New Member

Picked up a Bachmann Spectrum SD45 with a MRC AD350 chip installed. I do not have DCC (yet). When I put in on the track the lights come on but it will not move. My other loco's move fine. It should run normally on the track without DCC, shouldn't it? I'm thinking of opening it up and removing the chip but how do you get the shell off? Everything seems so fragile I'm afraid of breaking it. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

Some DCC encoders auto sense if the loco is placed on a DC track. Some do not. Try doing a search for MRC decoders. You should find a site that gives the specs. and capabilties on the decoder. I'm not sure, but I don't think MRC decoders will auto sense. Also, some decoders have to have one of the CV's programed before it will run on DC.
    Good luck...

Just did a search on the AD350 and it doesn't look like it is DC compatible. If you want to run it on DC, go to the BAchmann site and ask BAchmann how to wire a jumper plug for the decoder plug. Just replace the decoder with the jumper plug. That will let you run DC.
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi whitem3 :wave: and welcome to The-Gauge!! :)

Go to your LHS and ask them for a jumper plug. DCC-ready locos
    are shipped with this plug installed in the socket and anyone who has
    installed a decoder in a plug-equipped loco will have one lying about.
    Should be able to get one for the asking. If not someone here would be
    glad to send you one. Trade ya one for the decoder!!

(jest kiddin')

capt turk, that sig is killin' me, I dont know which one is more true!!
    (leanin' towards the first) :D :D