Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by EastCoast, Dec 26, 2004.

1. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

Happy Holiday!

My son just received a gift "Lionel Great Northern Glacier Route Freight" starter set and we would like to expand on it.

First, we would like to add some additional Fastrack tracks, that would involve 4 switches. I would prefer remote switches. Are remote switches available in the Fastrack lineup yet?

Second, since the trainset came only with a 40 watt transformer, would I need to step up the transformer because of the increase number of tracks and remote switches?

2. dhutch

dhutch Member

i dont know anythink about the lionel track

- but you dont need a bigger tranformer for a longer track, the losses arnt that great
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Ken: considering that Lionel put Fastrack in just about all their sets thais year, they're way behind in track variety.
    I don't think remote switches are available yet. The uncoupling section isn't out yet.
    I haven't seen anything for operating cars.
    I'me finding a bit of slowsown on the far side of the layout (basic loop) on my wife's train. I think you may want to put an extra terminal section (see if the wire with lugs and things comes separately) on the far side. If your transformer runs the train, amount of track doesn't need a bigger transformer. You lose voltage at all the track joints.
    Running a remote switch is only a momentary load, and you'll need a really big layout before there's a chance of changing a bunch of them at the same time.