newbie question for first layout stuff....

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by taylorg01, Dec 5, 2007.

1. taylorg01

taylorg01 New Member

I've only asked a few questions on here because searching FAQs, magazines, and google gets us a lot of info and I'm using some old car modeling stuff to get me past some hurdles. It's our first layout (my son is 7 and is the driving force here).

We are doing some weathering of a couple locos and cars just to get our feet wet and do some minor work to increase realism for him. I'm to the point of needing to shoot dulcoat on a loco. I have an airbrush.

I want to get an even finsih without washing out my details too much, but they really need to be protected as we're already wiping some of the stains off the roof when we pick the thing up. I'd rather touch that part up than the fades on the lower body.

I want to thin the dulcoat out properly so it will coat evenly and not glob in places. If I need to do a couple coats of fine mist, that's fine, but I do NOT want to experiment. We have a limited budget and my son runs the trains as often as he can and he'd be quite upset if we flubbed up one of his locos and had to do a repaint. that would not be a good day.

So, to summarize:

what ratio should I use of thinner and dulcoat to get a fine coat and full coverage in 1-2 coats....?

Down the road we will probably be wanting to weather them a bit more when we get some experience and the layout evolves.

2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi...I use Dullcote straight out of the can, just keep the can about 12"-14" away from your object, and sweep the can quiclky enough so you don't run the risk of running. A couple of coats is enough to provide all the protection you need. Wait about 2 hrs. between coats.

If you use your airbrush, don't put it too finely or the DC will dry even before it hits your object and all you'll get is a crumbly surface finish.

Good luck..!!
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

How many here use dullcote from an airbrush and how many from a spray bomb? I prefer to spray it with an airbrush, but lately I haven't lived anywhere with an air compressor handy :( I am tempted to get an el-cheapo harbor freight 1.5 gallon to use for light airbrush duty.

4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I agree with Charlie: 25% - 50% thinner will work just fine. It sounds as if you're using chalk for weathering, so the Dullcote is necessary to prevent handling from marring the finish. However, an application of Dullcote will lessen the effect of the chalk weathering - you won't know by how much until you try. You can always add more weathering later if the change is too drastic, though.
    I weather with Floquil paints, applied with an airbrush, but I do the clear-coating (gloss, semi-gloss, or flat) before weathering. This is the only way to get matte weathering effects on a gloss or semi-gloss finish and still retain the original finish.
    Even equipment that gets a final overspray of clear finish is susceptible to paint damage from handling. You should be sure to only handle your trains as little as possible and always with clean hands: skin oils will affect the finish, as will residue from handling food. I have a strict "No Food" rule for the layout room and workshop, although "Rule G" is not strictly enforced.;)