Newbie question about buying and customization

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by PaulBee, Sep 8, 2004.

1. PaulBee

PaulBee New Member

I would like to buy a Shinkansen model and customize it with a specific
    name. (It's a gift for someone.) I found that Kato make Shinkansens. Any
    tips about finding a dealer and doing the customiztion (or finding someone
    to do it)?

2. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

:wave: Hi PaulBee, Welcome to the Gauge. First you might want to check your yellow pages to see if there is a LHS in your area. If there isn't I've got a whole list of hobby shop sites or you could pick up a copy of Model Railroader annd check out their ads. Another option would be to do a search for Kato and see what you come up with.
  3. PaulBee

PaulBee New Member

Hi Clark,

Thanks for the reply. I have found a few web pages that sell Kato, so
    I should be fine with that. How about customising it with a name though?
    Is there any simple way for the beginner to do this, or do hobbyists
    even do that kind of thing at all?

4. b28_82

b28_82 Member

It all depends on how you want to customize it and how far you want to go. Do you want to superdetail it. Decal it? Paint it? Make it look weathered like a picture of an original? DIfferent people do one or more of those things and it all depends upon how comfortable you are doing it. If you plan on decaling its pretty self explanatory. I use Microsol & Microset with the Microscale decals, and they have the instructions on the bottle. The web and this place is a wealth of information as well.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

6. pjb

pjb Member

Bullet Trains by KATO

If this is made for the domestic market you should be aware that the track gauge, if 'HO' or 'N' will be the same
    as used here. The scale of the equipment will not be 1:87,
    or 1:160 but larger scales, consistent with Jap model hobby usage (1:80 & 1:152). ;)