Newbie Problem

prrfan

Hello,
I'm just starting out in N scale, and in model railroading for that matter. Am still collecting track for a layout. I hope one of you might be kind enough to help me with what may be a very simple problem.
I decided to run a loco on a test track for the first time. I laid out a length of Atlas code 55 flex-track on my module, attached terminal wires to one end, and connected them to an Atlas O-gauge transformer. I set a Bachmann 0-6-0 loco on the track and turned on the power. The loco hummed, and seemed to want to move, but didn't. I switched the Bachmann for a Model Power 4-6-2, same thing. I switched the wires on the terminal posts, no difference.
I've used the transformer with am O-gauge 3-rail set, and it works fine. And it seems against the odds that both locos would have locked gears.
Am I missing something in plain sight? wall1

Trainiac77

Yes you are missing something. O gauge 3 rail is AC and N gauge is DC, You need a DC transformer, If you keep applying AC power to your engines, you might damage them.

prrfan

Well, that would be a problem I guess. Off I go to get a DC transformer [never knew that about 3-rail]. Thank you much for the help. :eek:ops: