Newbie On Board For the Long Haul

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
wave.gif
Hi All, just thought I take a few moments to introduce myself. I've been lurking on The Gauge for quite some time now. My name is Willis I usually sign my posts that way. I'm an old gaffer, been retired since 1992 but didn't start on the dream layout until around 98. Didn't take too long before the dream became a nightmare
cry.gif
. As each problem was encountered it was compensated for resulting in many changes. What I wanted to do in the space I alloted for it was barely possible. I suppose the proper way to avoid all the hassle would have been to use one of the CAD programs, but I decided to put that time to working on the bench and track work. The basic track is all in place and now scenery is presenting it's limitations. Perseverance will triumph in the end ( I hope
biggrin.gif
)
I decided to freelance model a local short line the CB&CNS Rwy. This had it's problems in that all the loco's have to be bashed from various sources. The kitbashing ideas for the MLW C630M's came from another modeler The MLW RS18 happened when I had no choice but to succeed or throw a new Athearn in the garbage. Four more 630's and two RS18's are to be built in the future.
I have a freeweb site where a lot of my work in progress can be viewed.
http://www.freewebs.com/cbcnsfan/

Anyway that's a little about me, if you have any questions for me just ask

Cheers and a
wave.gif
from Nova Scotia
Willis

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
We have no problem with folks lurking but we're glad to have you make your presence known Willis! :) Your layout does look like a big project with a lot going on!!! It looks like progress is well underway and, like Val, I admire your trestle work. I'm also a big fan of your locomotive paint scheme...of course as a Penn Central modeler I have a tendency to like black diesels fom the 1970s! :)
Ralph

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
Thanks folks, for the warm welcome and complements. The trestle is a Heljan kit horribly mutilated or modified to fit. There has been a lot of work done since the last photos and I'll update the site when enough scenery is completed to warrent the change.
I have a tendency to like black diesels
Yes I like them also so one of my next projects will be an NBEC SD40 http://www.theboykos.com/nbec/6901.html
Cheers Willis

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Welcome Willis. I had a wonderful holiday in Nova Scotia and other maritime provinces a couple of years ago. Almost moved there but then your winters are too brutal.

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
Almost moved there but then your winters are too brutal.
LOL, Robin, not really, I'm afraid your area got pounded a lot worse than here. Two snow storms and rarely below 0 deg. F isn't so bad. My wife was from Welland and she prefers living here.
Cheers Willis

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Yep, I spent a couple years in Halifax at NSCAD. Winters were pretty mild, as I recall. Not that much snow either, but I do remember a wonderful trip on the ferry across to Dartmouth in the middle of a blizzard. It was great!!!!

The other nice thing about Halifax as compared to Toronto, is that you don't have to drive for hours to get out of town.

Val

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
at least two major dumps of snow that just about stopped everything?
Well there was one dump here the other one missed us, it wasn't all that bad, Northern NB and NFLD really got hammered. I know what you mean though, our relatives in Ont were calling to find out how we were, funny thing, the ground was mostly bare here. Halilifax and Sydney in the older sections had no place to put the snow so it just kept piling up untill it became a disaster ( kind of like the straw that broke the camels back). We are in a somewhat different situation being on the Northumberland shore ( miles of sandy beaches and the warmest salt water North of the Carolinas). For the past three days here it's been snowing and I have no problem driving the car in and out of the driveway , it's supposed to stop today ( it's 50F outside
biggrin.gif
)
No cornflakes or creepy rice here, though
No BREAK ROOM either, and that may not be a bad thing
biggrin.gif

but I do remember a wonderful trip on the ferry across to Dartmouth in the middle of a blizzard. It was great!!!!
Well I enjoyed it more in the summer and the fall, the ferry ride has to be the cheapest worthwhile scenic tour in the province, havn't been around there in some time though.

Cheers Willis :wave: