Newbie needs help..please

psocks

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
I want to start making my own buildings for my HO track layout. I want to know if there are any websites that contain plans for buildings that show sizes. Also is carboard a decent building material??? Some of the things I plan are a station, brewery and limberyard. Thanks in the advance!!

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Cardboard is a great material, once painted, you can't tell it was cardboard anyway. I also like to use card stock (illustration board) and bass wood (I don't like balsa wood as it's too soft and crumbles if too much force is applied or if your knife starts to get dull).

Others like to use styrene as well. You've got lots of options open to you, keep an eye on this forum to get some ideas.

CP Station by Matthyro is a good place to start... he used cereal boxes and corrugated cardboard for that structure.

P.S. Welcome to the Gauge! :D

rguyett

Oct 22, 2003
calgary alberta
Visit site
well you are in a forum that will supply all kinds of information and the people here will be very helpful to you
There are lots of threads on here dealing with cardboard structures and they post pics and details as they go.
look them up and then ask for info on them they'll help you out
Welcome to the gauge

C

Catt

psocks ,as one of the mods in this forum I'd like to welcome you to the best forum on line.:D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Welcome to the-gauge psocks!!! You are in fact at the epicenter of scratch building with cardboard or any other material! :D :D :D

Be sure and check the academy:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=28

And try the search feature (button at the top of any page). It works best with a * before and after a keyword or two, Like these searches:

*cardboard*

*paper*

*building plans*

and

*scale drawings*

This thread probably came up in one of those searches, but it might have some interest to you so here it is:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7315

You should also get a scale ruler, if you don't have one, and by all means, ask lots of questions! Finally, when you get something built, be sure and post some pics :)

Most of all habe fun :D:D:D