newbie: lionel g scale questions

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Big Z, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Big Z

Big Z New Member

Hello, I'm Zach, and I'm new to the forum. I am 44 years old, and have loved model trains since childhood. I purchased my first G scale train in 1994. It was a Bachmann and I have used it occasionally over the years, mainly at Christmas time. Recently, the Locomotive bit the dust, and I decided to look for a Lionel G scale. I had seen one of their 4-4-2 wheel configuration units years ago in a hobby shop, and liked it. I finally got one on ebay the other day. I haven't received it yet, but I am excited to see how it compares to Bachmann. The Bachmann was O.K., except that I had trouble with the locomotive's electric motor when it was just a few months old. I fixed it myself, being quite the handyman. I would like to know any possible information about the Lionel G scale Locos. I am going to search the forums, but I would also appreciate input from other members. I have LGB track, and an older Trainpower 6200 transformer, and a few extra cars, along with the ones that came with the Bachmann set. I don't have a good place for a permanent layout right now, but maybe I'll convert my deck into one! -Zach
  2. ToyMaker

ToyMaker New Member

Check out George Schreyer's "The Large Scale Trains Page".
    One of the topics deals with upgrading the Lionel 4-4-2 Atlantic.