Newbie: Laying track and wire gauge

edf1956

Oct 13, 2006
Well, got a load of Atlas flex and Peco turnouts from CCHobbies the other day. I started laying track on 2in foam and woodland track bed yesterday. I'm using woodland glue to lay the track bed and latex caulk to lay the track. I'm using some silver solder the guy at the LHS recommended. So far so good I even got my first turnout laid using a Peco PL10W. One question I have is what gauge wire do you run from the switch machine to the terminal block. I had some 18ga stranded laying around I used but it seems a little heavy. I'm also using the accessory switches on the Peco's and am using lighter gauge wire on them. Anyway, the only problem seems to be my 50 year old eye sight and brain. I haven't done this since I did a 4 X 8 using Tyco stuff and it seems much harder this time around. At this rate It will take me a year to layout this track on a 5X12. Also, I am using a NCE PowerCab and plan on using the Lenz LS150 along with push buttons to control the switch machines. Anyone have any experience with this setup.