newbie here

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sirhb, Dec 2, 2005.

1. sirhb

sirhb New Member

Hey im new here. just saying hi for the first time.Im just getting back into trains when I was a kid I was into them for a long time but lost my intrest until just recently. I am 17 and will be asking alot of questions. Thank you :thumb:
  2. kadidle

kadidle Member

Welcome to The Gauge. These guys are great, helpful, and full of awesome ideas! Check out the nightly chat, I've really enjoyed conversing with everyone there, as well as getting motivated here... hehehehe
  3. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Welcome To The-Gauge sirhb.:wave: :wave: :wave: Also ask away with questions.
  4. sirhb

sirhb New Member

well at the moment I really dont have many trains just the ones left over from my younger years. But weathering is a big interest and any easy to understand info would be helpful.
  5. kadidle

kadidle Member

First thing I did when I started to weather trains was snap a BUNCH of pictures (boy I wish I had a digital camera back then!) and look at the way the real trains weather. Then I started playing with different techniques with weathering (I believe there are some excellent how-to's in the acadamy).
  6. sirhb

sirhb New Member

What exactly is dry brushing. I hate too sound like a newb but I am so.
  7. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hi and welcome aboard. All questions are welome. You might also have luck using our search feature at the top of the page. As for dry brushing, it refers to a technique in which you brush most of the paint off your brush (on a piece of paper or something) and then apply it to the model for weathering. Doing this leaves nice thin irregular streaks of rust or grime, depending on what color paint you're using.
  8. ausien

ausien Active Member

Hi sirhb, welcome to the GAUGE, ask your questions as you like, just remember one thing, there are no silly questions, just silly people that dont ask. mind you when you ask a question here, you may get many differant answers, thats not to say that any are wrong, just that we have many, many, realy good modelers here that have differant ways and means of doing the same thing, to get the same result, so you will have the best ways to do things at your finger tips. Hope your stay with us, is a long, happy and informative one......have a good one..steve
  9. jcoop1

jcoop1 Member

Everyone is a "newb" at some point. you are not the first or the last.

Ask away