Newbie here

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by pghtrain, Oct 8, 2005.

1. pghtrain

pghtrain New Member

Stupid question: I have an old HO engine from Gernmany that works fine on AC track. The cars for the set have now arrived via my bother-in-law from Germany who indicates that he might have replaced the wheels on the cars to use on DC track only??? I have no clue why this matters since the engine would simply pull the cars correct? This is a train I received in the early 80s that I now plan to use with my kids.
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

if they are marklin with metal wheels, the axles might not be insulated. This means, unless the wheelsets are changed, they will short out normal DC track. Marklin is AC, and picks up part of it's power from metal "studs" between the rails.

3. pghtrain

pghtrain New Member

Thanks Nacho man! I take it the local hobby shop will be able to change the wheel sets.
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Your local hobby shop may or may not be able to work on it. I would be sure they knew what they were doing before you leave it. They could recommend someone if they can't do the work. The hobby shop closest to me would be great if I was into RC cars or airplanes, but carry a minium of model railroad stuff and might be hard pressed to tell the difference between HO and O.:rolleyes: If in doubt, call a local train club and see who they would suggest.
  5. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I would try the cars on the AC track.
    The DC wheel sets may have smaller flanges and may not track as good But shouldn't cause any electrical problem on the AC track.
    I am not that familiar with Marklin but If I remember correctly they have a signal system that may not work with the DC wheels as they won't conduct power from one rail to the other to trip the signal system.
  6. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Welcome Aboard The-Gauge pghtrain. :wave: :wave:
  7. nachoman

nachoman Guest

you should have no problems pulling the cars on AC track if insulated wheels have been installed. If the cars have lighting - the lighting will no longer work, but they will pull fine. If all you intend to do is pull the cars in a train, there is no reason to convert the wheels back over.

8. pghtrain

pghtrain New Member

Nacho Man, EZdays, Ray

Thanks, I have since leraned that the train is a LIMA (replica of the Trans Europ Express). Does that change any of your replies?