newbie help

michi_skip

Nov 23, 2006
New Market, Alabama
I'm helping a friend put together a train for her six year old son--
I am trying to put together a bachmann plus locomotive maintenance building and the plastic pieces came out of the box bent--is there any way to straigten them out?

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
michi_skip said:
Thank You. This is getting way more complicated than it started...

So a month ago we had a couple triansets we'd been given and etc that i was going to setup and run around or xmas.. nothing fancy just assemble them like the directions in the box.

Well.. that was a month ago now i have about 75 linear feet of track layed on foam w/ turnouts and the likes, that i built a bed for in the concrete in my basement crawlspace, i've installed lights wiring i even bought a "grandstand" so visitors can watch :). :D

My kids run around the house going "choo choo choo choo" all day, the little one is especially hooked. I even caught my wife downstairs running the trains one day :) she said it helped her think ... hahahaa

http://www.skyersfamily.com/gallery/v/Trains/Layout1/

michi_skip

Nov 23, 2006
New Market, Alabama
So we have the building finally built, I ended up using some wood slats to help support it--I think it was a mistake to let my friends foster son to help build it--I guess he never built a model before-or has an aversion to following directions--5 pieces broke before it was all over. The track has been put together and taken apart about 8 times and still we have not come up with a final decision. It is not intended to be complete with all the scenery by Christmas but would like it to be on a covered base and not to destructable. We built the bench on two seperate supports so the table can be lifted off for moving-- there are 8 legs on a 4 x 8 table. I am trying to figure out how to lower the picture quality. I also have 2 dollhouses being built at the same time and going back and forth with scale from ho to dollhouse is getting ridiculous. Oh yeah and these are not my kids or grandkids, my kids are to old to appreciate the effort and grandkids are to young.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I don't know whether to say "congratulations" or offer my condolences on your new hobby. Sounds like the family is well involved, as is desirable. Remember, , have fun and save enough money for the house payment.

michi_skip

Nov 23, 2006
New Market, Alabama
Pictures

Going to try for pictures of layout before it changes, again.

The first one is the preformed tunnel that needed to be lifted up.

the second is before the tunnel but that part hasn't changed.

Attachments

• picture for the guage.jpg
    picture for the guage.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 104
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 102

michi_skip

Nov 23, 2006
New Market, Alabama
Well the second was the wrong picture the track has changed--we added flex track going into the turntable and a maintenance building for the engines. Moved the inside oval to allow for the lift under the tunnel and changed the area at the right to allow for a passenger depot. But other than that---

michi_skip

Nov 23, 2006
New Market, Alabama
I guess I should have said that the foster son I'm complaining about is now 21 and been in the military for 3 years and in our lives for about 6 years.
I should have asked for help when I first found the guage instead of getting in to trouble and then asking. You can bet that when I start working on my own train I'll ask first and then maybe not get into trouble.

michi_skip

Nov 23, 2006
New Market, Alabama
More pictures

Almost done--not because there is not a thousand other things we could think of to do, but Christmas is around the corner. Here us what we did this weekend.

The dragon's lair is inhabited by a dragon that belonged to my husband but JT claimed about 3 years ago. I knew he'd finally give in at give it to him.

Attachments

• Train in tunnel.jpg
    Train in tunnel.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 25
  • s lair.jpg
    s lair.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Water.jpg
    Water.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 30
  • bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg