Newbie Help

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by SPRR Son, Nov 29, 2004.

1. SPRR Son

SPRR Son New Member

I have one simple question. I am setting up an MTH train around the perimeter of my sons room. I have built the roadbed and bracketed it to the wall. The room is 14 x 14, therefore a total of 56 feet of track (est). Is there any certain distance you can not exceed for transformer use? What is the process to solve the issue? Larger trans? etc.
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Should be no problem, other than that at the farthest point from the transformer the train may slow a little. That can be fixed by running additional wires to the distant track.
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

I did that in HO - ran the wires from the power supply to the track - then ran 2 more wires from those 2 wires to a point in the center of the tracks on the "far wall" works great!!! - only problem I've had in 6 years was cleaning the track and one car fell off since I had too long of a train on it & the curves were too tight.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

For a lot of experienced modelers, the standard rule is to run a set of large diameter bus wires under the benchwork with feeders connecting to the track at intervals not exceeding 6'. 6' will cover two lengths of flex track.
  5. SPRR Son

SPRR Son New Member

Thanks to all.

SPRR Son