Newbie at the helm - cutting windows

rsn48

I'm not new to model rail roading but to kit bashing and scratch building I am, so a not so young newbie here. My question is this - how do you cut out windows for buildings using styrene without problems, like jagged corners etc? And is there a jig you can use if your building has lots of windows. I'm in N scale.

davidstrains

rsn,

First, welcome to the Gauge. You have come to the right place for your questions. There are several techniques that many of the Gaugers have offered for cutting windows. Right now I work with card stock, business cards, card board and I use a very sharp Xacto knife to cut mine (see http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5464 for latest effort.) Catt offered a "nibler" in the "Tips and Tricks" thread and some others have mentioned a scribing technique where you carefully scribe the window outline and then make cuts diagonally corner to corner. Then snap out the "v" shaped material and lightly file any rough edges smooth. Each is a good method. I am sure there are others.:) :)

rsn48

David,
I checked out your building and that is exactly what I am after in terms of height and width. My feeling is that buildings need to be larger in N scale. Most manufactures copy what they do in HO and it doesn't quite work in N scale. We need higher buildings, and N scale can handle taller structures.