Newbe Question

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by lrjanzen, Jul 21, 2006.

1. lrjanzen

lrjanzen Member

I have started my very first paper model. I stumbled on this interesting hobby the other day on the internet. I found I had al the tools and downloaded the Canon Notre Dame ( I like buildings). For a first pass I think I am doing OK. But could someone point me to a thread or give me a hint on how to fold the smaller parts? There are 4 little doodads on the corners of the transept and folding them has been an exercise in frustration for me. Fortunately I can reprint then and try again (love that). Is it a lighter paper for smaller parts? or a technique? I tried scoring and still ended up with fingers full of wood pulp. I don't want to get frustrated to early and loose interest.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

small tweezers.............. patients
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Something I have found that helps in folding small parts is a used single edge utility knife blade. A new one might be too sharp and tend to cut the paper, a used one is dull enough so as not to cut, but still has a sharp enough edge to make a nice crisp fold. I lay the part on the side of the blade, align the fold line up with the edge of the blade and fold. Sometimes the part is on the face toward me to make mountain folds, sometimes the part is on the opposite face to make valley folds. I have also found that scoring the small parts in some cases is not needed. :)
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome Irjanzen,
    same idea as SCEtoAux except I use a straightedge to fold the parts over
  5. hpept

hpept Member

hi Irjanzen,
    welcome. I have recently finished the model you're taking about, If you have some specific problem, tell me the piece numbers and i'll try to explain hw i put them together.
    Definitely, when comes to fold small partss it's better to score the parts before folding. Sometimes it's even better to score and fold the parts still on the sheet, and then unfold and cut them later.
  6. lrjanzen

lrjanzen Member

The parts are 3 g-h
  7. hpept

hpept Member

i had suspicions that the troublesome parts were those. Actually they are a bit tricky to fold, expecially if printed on heavy cardstock, due to the small size of the folds. First you should score all the dotted lines and fold them before cutting. Pay attention to the yellow edges which separate the triangular tabs from the rectangular sides of the columns: they have to be cut, so that the tabs slip behind the part they were attached to. For the bottom tabs, the smaller ones go inside the box you're forming, and then glue tha bigger tabs on top of each other leaving the numbered tab out (48 & 49). Thats all. You should end with a pyramid on top of a rectangular box.If you downloaded the instructions from the Canon site, picture on sheet n.3 should help to figure how how to do it correctly.
  8. silverw

silverw Member

Whenever possible, I leave as much "scrap" card around the "part" outline as possible. This gives you a bigger piece to work with. Score and fold, then finish cutting out the part. Applies equally well for long thin parts.