Newb Q

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

I have an extreme newb Q

How do you stop an RC engine? I know how to start it. Glow igniter and injecting of fuel b4 pulling. But does the fuel have to burn out first or can you stop it some way? HELP PLZ
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

them things stall so many times you dont even need to.that is a reason i hate nitro stuff.but i dont really know i never asked anyone i raced that had nitro power because,like i said they stalled alot.i Do know that you can put your finger over the carb and that will definitly stop it.
  3. bandit1

bandit1 Member

putting ur finger over the carb puts all kinda crap in ur engine, never do that. the most effective way of turning off an engine is to turn over ur car/truck and stick ur shoe on the flywheel causing it to stop. doing this is a fast way to turn off ur engine and fairly easy too. another easy, effective way is to put ur finger over the exhaust tip. no it is'nt hot! hope i could help out.
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

bandit1......if you seal off the intake by putting your finger over the carb,where does the `all kinda crap` come into the engine from?
    if you put your finger over the carb nothing will get into it,including air.cutting off the air is what will stop it from running.
    correct me if im wrong.but i dout i am.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

i would say putting your finger over the exhuast would be the worst thing you could do.i would imagine you would get un burned fuel in it if you do it that way.im not an expert but i know how they run.
  6. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

thanks for the tips guys, but i heard pinching the fuel line can stop it. but ill try all the different types and find my fav.
  7. bandit1

bandit1 Member

8. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Also the engine classification bugs me. Whats the diff between a 2.5 and 0.25? are they the same measurement unit? CC or CID?
  9. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

You definately dont put your finger on the carb... Picture this you have a nice realsized car and it is running (ie sucking air into the engine at high speeds) but you want to change the air filter so you start moving the cover and filter around and presto dirt and all kinds of crap finds its way around the seal on the air filter and into your engine wrecking it! bandit has the best ways in his post. pinching the line is ok but if your engine is hot already this will lean it out and make it even hotter and damage it.
  10. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

ENGINE CLASSIFICATION? o and what is the safest best bet way to stop the engine?
  11. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

2.5 is refering to cubic centimeter. .15 is the same sized engine just measured in cubic inches. I suppose that bandits way is the most original i have hear but stopping the flywheel with a foriegn object is fine, but I plug the exhaust, Personally. However you will want to make sure that the piston is not at the top of its stroke (new engine only) because the engine cooling may cause it to sieze there. Cutting off the fuel is effective but does lean the motor out as rcosmax said. Never remove the air cleaner while the engine is running, never. The engine runs strictly on compression and the piston/sleeve is a pressure fit. Meaning that they are slightly cone shaped and at the top of the stroke that is when the piston/sleeve fit the tightest resulting in a good seal. Now take into account the effects of even on grain of sand on the cylinder wall and you have lost compression. And low compression is one reason that a nitro engine stalls all the time.
  12. timrock

timrock Active Member

im not a nitro guy but i still dont see how anything will get in to the engine if you cut off the intake by putting your figer or hand over the carb.i wouldnt take the filter off of it.
    however,rcosmax,talking about`realsized cars`i have adjusted air/fuel mixtures on carbs on small block Chevies with out the air filter on it.thats fine.
  13. timrock

timrock Active Member

14. Davemc

Davemc Member

I see a small tool on TV, it is like a plastic pen with one end that is to a point, like a Pencil, and they stick it in the exhaust
  15. timrock

timrock Active Member

if you do that, doesnt the unburned fuel that gets in the engine dry,harden up and lock up the piston and crank?im sure if it sits long enough with fuel in it that would happen but i guess you could free it up somehow.i dont know,i hate nitro.
  16. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Yes, if you let the fuel sit it will build up varnish. But if you go through the after run procedures, like using after-run oil and cycling the engine you'll have no problems. The tool you speak of Davemc is made by Dubro called the KWIK STOP and is already available. Also they have some cool body clip retainers for those of you that have probs loosing them (T-Maxxers). I checked them out at the Chicago Hobby Expo. They worked so well we carry them at Radio Shack. The thing in the picture was in Chicago too and waay coo. There is even a spot for the electric starter for the Maxx that takes the place of the glow starter and it comes with the Kwik Stop.

http://dubro.com/du-bro/DUBRORACINGCATALOG/DR_Cat_72_02.html
  17. dirtovallMaster

dirtovallMaster New Member

looks like rockn82 answered the question.timrock how could you hate nitro.NITRO Kicks A$$
  18. timrock

timrock Active Member

i dont like the way they sound.that anoying sound of them reving and they smell.
    people say nitro is faster than electric but that is not true.i can make as much horsepower with electric as any nitro engine.
  19. bandit1

bandit1 Member

th first two sentences of the last post sounds like my girlfriend when im running my nitro!
  20. bro

bro New Member

yeah same here but

This is your only warning, language like that will not be tolerated on this site. Anymore and your account will be locked.
    -Admin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.