Newb needs help

Grotto

I don't know if this is where to post newbie questions but here goes. I can't decide on what HO or N gauge.

The advantage of N ia that I can get much more track and have a chance of doing what I want, but I am afraid that it might seem too small to my tired old eyes.

Ho seems attractive due to larger size but that size means less complex rail patterns, but likely more visually pleasing.

What do most first timers try? Are N gaugers happy with the size? Any assitence from your collective mass of knowledge would be very welcome.

jim currie

:wave: welcome to the gauge:wave: well you ask a question that is hard :) I have been in ho since the 60's a lot depends on you how good are your eyes i know I can't do N anymore because HO is starting to be too small:( so look at both scales closely and see what you like .

I have trouble with N scale because of its size so I am HO. Around here there is a lot more HO stuff available at the LHS's. Price seems to be almost equal so it seems that you are getting more for your money when you buy the larger stuff. Detailing is much easier in HO, more parts available, easier to handle. I still have to use my optivisors though.

jasbourre

Welcome to The Gauge.
I ask the same question when I first started. The only difference for me was that I inherited a LOT of HO stuff, so what I did was make two layouts.
I have a 11 x 6 HO, and a N gauge shelf layout about 11 X 9 all in the same room.

Good luck and keep us posted.

You will find that most model HO Scale. I also model HO To me it is the best scale. It is not so small i cant see it and it is not so big it has to be outside. But you need to make up your mine about this. As you are the one that has to be happy in the end.

ddavidv

Having moved to N from HO, I'm very pleased. I now look at HO layouts and think how much more trackage I could have with N! But, products are far more limited, and you do need good eyesight to work on it. I like detail work, so it doesn't bother me. It's also much easier to hide your mistakes in a smaller scale.

Pooh Bah
I have a slight HO bias, but I worked in N scale back when it was called OOO.
You will get different types of operation in the different scales. N gets less switching, but tends to long runs of long trains. If you plan to do a lot of switching, HO or even O may be better.
If you like building your own cars (kits or scratch), N has less, and is more fiddly to work with. Scales larger than HO almost demand scratchbuilding if you want models of specific cars or locomotives.
However, look at the Academy forum and the section on Robin's (Mathyro) models -- built from cornflakes boxes in N scale.
So, a lot will depend on what parts of the hobby you want to pursue, and whether you consider it important to add your own imprint to your layout.

joesho

Grotto, im still quite new to the hobby but like people have said i personaly think n scale is too small my would be too stress full. i like ho because as most have siad you can detail do lots of detailed scenery ( not that you cant in n scale) . I also think you get more for your money. id say ho but thats my personel opinion (for me trying to paint something in n scale for me would be a nightmare . :)

Herc Driver

I've always had N so I don't know any different...but looking at the store at the HO offerings, they are always more detailed than N scale. But you can pack a lot of stuff on one table or door in N scale. I've found weathering the layout a bit harder in N scale than I first thought since you have to be so careful where the chalk/paint/glue goes and too much looks like waaaaay tooo much. Lastly...I'm finding it hard to take good pictures of my N scale layout...(but that's a user error not the camera fault).